How to lose friends and alienate countries

Started by crazy canuck, March 23, 2009, 03:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: grumbler on March 24, 2009, 03:36:04 PMIn the shoes of the comedians, i would have said "fuck you, say you are sorry for asking me to say that i am sorry."  Bad publicity helps comedians and hurts politicians.

I think that I would have said, "I'm sorry that you're too stupid to recognize a joke when you hear one, and too thin-skinned, insecure, and petty to take it if you did recognize it".

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 24, 2009, 03:36:04 PM
But "Say you are sorry for implying that the US should invade Canada when its army is on a 'stand-down'" just sounds so retarded.

You must have missed the part where one said "I didnt even know Canada was fighting in Afghanistan" the day after four Canadian troops were killed fighting in Afghanistan.  It is stupid to be offended by the comment you quoted.  It is entirely understandable to be offended by the comment I quoted.

In the shoes of the comedians, i would have said "fuck you, say you are sorry for asking me to say that i am sorry."  Bad publicity helps comedians and hurts politicians.

The only real publicity is in Canada and the comedian in question lost his Canadian gigs over this.  In this case the publicity is helping the politician with his Canadian audience (the only one he cares about) and is hurting the comedian.

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on March 24, 2009, 07:26:14 PM
You are from fucking Alberta, you primitive savage.

Alberta has Bioware and is thus at pinnacle of civilization.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2009, 04:21:55 PM
Wow, Canucks are either thin-skinned or can't figure out wtf satire is.

The old tired 'Canada is teh suck' stuff is satire?  Next I will see some brilliantly witty satire about how bad the French Army is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2009, 10:03:48 AM
The old tired 'Canada is teh suck' stuff is satire?  Next I will see some brilliantly witty satire about how bad the French Army is.

Or perhaps some witty commentary about how backward Iran is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2009, 10:04:48 AM
Or perhaps some witty commentary about how backward Iran is.

That, sir, is the very soul of wit.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2009, 10:03:48 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2009, 04:21:55 PM
Wow, Canucks are either thin-skinned or can't figure out wtf satire is.

Eh, not all satire is witty.  This happens to be one of those cases, but it was still obvious satire.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

There is a good editorial cartoon about this in today's Globe and Mail.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2009, 09:55:00 AM
You must have missed the part where one said "I didnt even know Canada was fighting in Afghanistan" the day after four Canadian troops were killed fighting in Afghanistan.  It is stupid to be offended by the comment you quoted.  It is entirely understandable to be offended by the comment I quoted.
I don't understand how that is offensive, either, but then I am not Canadian and so my skin isn't so thin.

QuoteThe only real publicity is in Canada and the comedian in question lost his Canadian gigs over this.  In this case the publicity is helping the politician with his Canadian audience (the only one he cares about) and is hurting the comedian.
I really didn't understand until this story came out just how crippling the Canadian inferiority complex was, but I understand now.  I'd say it was win-win:  the politician gets creds for being a whiner, and the comedian avoids being killed by canuckleheads for a routine that may not be funny but is sure to incite them to homicidal violence.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!