How to lose friends and alienate countries

Started by crazy canuck, March 23, 2009, 03:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

I have to say, I didn't get that these guys were supposed to be comedians watching it. I thought it was just a bad talk show.

::shrugs::

Barrister

Quote from: Faeelin on March 23, 2009, 06:41:35 PM
I have to say, I didn't get that these guys were supposed to be comedians watching it. I thought it was just a bad talk show.

::shrugs::

I think part of the problem is that a lot of Canadians didn't know that either when the clip started making the rounds.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

To think Mckay was considered as General Secretary of Nato... !  A good thing his candidacy was not supported by the US.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on March 23, 2009, 06:45:27 PM
To think Mckay was considered as General Secretary of Nato... !  A good thing his candidacy was not supported by the US.
You just hate him because he's a Tory, an anglophone and a heterosexual.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2009, 06:29:30 PM
What seems like what happened is that the Canadian government asked for an pology on behalf of the Canadian troops.  They didn't demand or threaten anything, but stated they thought the comments were insensitive.
Actually, they said that the comments were not only "disgusting" but "despicable." The latter twice, in consecutive sentences (it appears - could be editing). The comments may have been "insensitive" if the commedians had, in fact, known that four soldiers had just died, but the reaction was way too wild and uncontrolled.

Now, if the viewer of the comments justifiably didn't understand that this was supposed to be humor, then I suppose a degree of irritationwould be warranted, but "despicable?"  "disgusting?"  Not even then.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2009, 08:33:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2009, 06:29:30 PM
What seems like what happened is that the Canadian government asked for an pology on behalf of the Canadian troops.  They didn't demand or threaten anything, but stated they thought the comments were insensitive.
Actually, they said that the comments were not only "disgusting" but "despicable." The latter twice, in consecutive sentences (it appears - could be editing). The comments may have been "insensitive" if the commedians had, in fact, known that four soldiers had just died, but the reaction was way too wild and uncontrolled.

Now, if the viewer of the comments justifiably didn't understand that this was supposed to be humor, then I suppose a degree of irritationwould be warranted, but "despicable?"  "disgusting?"  Not even then.
Don't be silly.  People can take incredible offence for any reason.  If the commedians had made unkind comments about niggers, there would be much weeping and gnashing of teeth.  Think of Canadians like the NAACP:  Quick to take offence at any slight, actual or perceived.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

All your Northwest Passage are belong to us.

DontSayBanana

I'm torn between whether I want the :nelson: to go to Canada or to Fox. Considering Krauthammer's originally from Canada, I guess I'll let it go to the former.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2009, 04:02:10 PM
I am shocked, *shocked* to hear that something stupid, juvenile and offensive aired on Fox News

I'm shocked that someone watched Red Eye.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2009, 06:01:24 PM
No matter how stupid the humour, I find the concept of a government intervening in relation to a private media outlet's programme silly at best and disturbing at worst.

You have a real knack of taking a reasonable sentiment (for example Grumbler's) and turning it into a unreasonable statement.  the government didn't "intervene".  The government did ask for an apology and to Fox's credit the apology was promptly given.  I agree with Grumbler that their was a better way to handle it but you are standing on some kind of misguided principle of freedom of speech which is not engaged here.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2009, 06:33:45 PM
Dude should have followed Obama's lead following the RACISS monkey cartoon: express contempt.

Yes.  But in the heat of the moment, after having just come from seeing the families of the soldiers killed just a couple days ago I can understand his response.

Malthus

It's understandable but dumb. Taking serious offence at these clowns is a losing game.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2009, 11:46:40 AM
It's understandable but dumb. Taking serious offence at these clowns is a losing game.

So far it worked out.  Fox apologized and it looks like the comedians on the panel are the ones paying the price.  I heard a report that one of them was scheduled to do a tour of Canadian events starting in Edmonton.  He has been dropped from those gigs.

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2009, 11:46:40 AM
I tend to agree but I can understand Canadian's annoyance over this. Canada contributes and fights, something a few other allies won't do, and I can understand feeling put out about such comments. Even though I watch all the cable news stations, they just put too much crap on the air too. But this kind of stuff, never seen that show that I recall, I guess it's like Bill Maher's show, or similar others?

Savonarola

Quote from: Faeelin on March 23, 2009, 06:07:11 PM
Why shouldn't Canada complain when a news organization taunts one of the few countries whose troops in Iraq engage in combat missions?

It's better just to ignore Fox; they thrive on publicity like this.  Someone right now is probably pitching a show called "When Canadian MPs Attack!" to Rupert.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock