News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I'd say the latest beta patch makes the game infinitely more playable than it was out of the box.  I still think that there are many issues that need to be fixed or touched up, but it's a good start.

JonasSalk

Woohoo! I get to wait until 1.4.
Yuman

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on April 17, 2011, 12:25:08 PM
I'd say the latest beta patch makes the game infinitely more playable than it was out of the box.  I still think that there are many issues that need to be fixed or touched up, but it's a good start.

It's probably not ideal to finally get to "good start" nearly a year after the actual release of the game, and maybe two or three since design actually began on it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

szmik

Quote from: DGuller on April 17, 2011, 12:25:08 PM
so the beta starts now, got it :)
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

DGuller

Yeah, sort of.  The unfortunate reality is that Vicky 2 is far too complex for Paradox to get right, they simply don't have the talent pool necessary to properly code a game with a design like that.  I don't think they'll ever manage to polish that turd sufficiently.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2011, 04:05:05 PM
Yeah, sort of.  The unfortunate reality is that Vicky 2 is far too complex for Paradox to get right, they simply don't have the talent pool necessary to properly code a game with a design like that.  I don't think they'll ever manage to polish that turd sufficiently.

I believe that was the problem with the first one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

JonasSalk

Sad :( It's such a great concept, too. If only a real company would make it.
Yuman

DGuller

Ultimately, even with the best programmers, I'm afraid the concept of Victoria is not very workable.  The reason is that economy is the engine of Vicky, and you can't really simulate world economy anywhere near properly without transportation costs. 

I think we're at least a decade away before we have processing power to even attempt to do that.  Without transportation costs, and everything else done very well, you would have an utterly ridiculous level of specialization that just isn't feasible even today.

Razgovory

Yeah, creating an essentially modern economy simulator is not exactly easy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

JonasSalk

Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2011, 08:28:29 PM
Ultimately, even with the best programmers, I'm afraid the concept of Victoria is not very workable.  The reason is that economy is the engine of Vicky, and you can't really simulate world economy anywhere near properly without transportation costs. 

I think we're at least a decade away before we have processing power to even attempt to do that.  Without transportation costs, and everything else done very well, you would have an utterly ridiculous level of specialization that just isn't feasible even today.

Von Thünen would like to molest you.
Yuman

Viking

I'm trying to think of a more productive activity for a land based european power than taking out the dutch with a "place in the sun" for the colonial province of java, but I can't think of any.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

I remember reading an article a few months ago about some folks at a university somewhere actually setting out to make a 'everything simulator' which would try and model the world, its economy and all sorts of other things.

___

It annoys me that small provinces count just as much as big ones for badboy.
Portugal kept going to war with me as UK (well...Morocco. My Morocco) and I took most of their empire...except Goa and Macau. As little one province things it wasn't worthwhile.

██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Quote from: Tyr on April 25, 2011, 06:35:25 PM
I remember reading an article a few months ago about some folks at a university somewhere actually setting out to make a 'everything simulator' which would try and model the world, its economy and all sorts of other things.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2223

Josquius

Hey, 1.3 is out....hmm....might give Russia a spin.
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

So how is the game now?
And how are the mods? Particularly the ones that just add to/fix the GC.

I reinstalled Victoria: Revolutions with VIP, and I'm remembering why I stopped playing. :(
I need my 19th century fix.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help