News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

I think they should draw inspiration from period sources. Presented for your consideration:

For Grallon:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

To be honest, Paradox seem less than enthusiastic about this game. I predict this will be a greater turd than HoI3 on release, and will receive less post release support.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Yeah Syt...I was thinking the same thing. One of their bigshots even said right off the bat, that he didn't think Vickie Two was such a good idea.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

saskganesh

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 19, 2009, 07:26:07 PM
For what it is worth, the lettow crowd is merrily appeased.

I suspect you'll be dissapointed.

I played the CSA a couple times in Vikkie and on the reload I grinded out a horrible victory. to win, I pretty much had to nerf my economy for 20 years.

anyhow, I got some territory and assured my independence. the problem was that as soon as my economy recovered --10 years later -- the Union Dowed me again. I did not have the stamina for a repeat.

OTOH, playing the Union was fairly enjoyable. Over multiple games, the CSA always lost to my superior manpower and economy. the only power that I really feared was the UK ... with their endless Indian Army hordes, who would land just about anywhere, depending on what the RN wanted to do. (France tried to emulate UK once by invading me solo ... I contained their army in New England then built transports and launched a counter invasion, landing in Brittany. Once Paris was taken -- this was 1880ish -- it was over.)

so unless they change some of the game's fundamentals, there will be a lot of upset confederate fanbois.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2009, 01:03:57 AM
To be honest, Paradox seem less than enthusiastic about this game. I predict this will be a greater turd than HoI3 on release, and will receive less post release support.

possibly on release. but IMO Vikkie fans are the hardest of the hardcore among Pdox gamers, and they will quickly mod it into something reasonable.

just your time-tested Pdox development model at work.
humans were created in their own image

KRonn

I hope Paradox does a good job on this game. Vicky is one of my favorites, probably due to the economic aspects. I'm happy with Vicky:Revs, but I'd want to play this one too.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2009, 12:45:36 AM
Johan's comment:
QuoteWe wanted to make a cover that shows something cool, and also show something that is both historical and showing what Paradox is all about, ie, changing history.

Well, one out of three ain't bad, I guess.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Lettow77

Saskganesh, i've played Victoria alot. I know how the South goes.

Actually, that part isnt what bothers me. immigrants flock to new orleans and suchlike, and convert to yankee rather than dixie, so by 1920 african american and dixie are both largely assimilated and the USA is yankee from sea to shining sea. Even by 1860, there are majority yankee populations in Louisiana, Texas and the like. Just a tragedy.

Granted, the Confederacy was not much fun to play in victoria. Agriculture was given a short shrift.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Quote from: saskganesh on October 20, 2009, 07:18:21 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on October 19, 2009, 07:26:07 PM
For what it is worth, the lettow crowd is merrily appeased.

I suspect you'll be dissapointed.

I played the CSA a couple times in Vikkie and on the reload I grinded out a horrible victory. to win, I pretty much had to nerf my economy for 20 years.

Which is better then they did historically when they nerfed their economy for about 70 years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2009, 05:02:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2009, 02:38:55 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on October 19, 2009, 02:27:02 PM
like, the cover is the new map.

You mean when the Confederates invade India?

It will never happen in a Paradox game. The Confederates invading India requires the ability for the AI to launch a naval invasion, unless they cross from the Bering Straits, which isn't an impossibility for P'dox. But my point is anything requiring a naval invasion won't happen.

The British always seemed to always be launching naval invasion in Vicky.  The WWI scenario would normally end with the Millions of British soldiers overrunning North Germany while Germany can't get through Belgium and East Prussia is completely overrun.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 19, 2009, 09:15:39 PM
Why would the Confederates be fighting the British? They'd much more likely be on the same side.

Um...because they invaded India?  Pay attention please Tim.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 20, 2009, 09:57:58 PM
Granted, the Confederacy was not much fun to play in victoria. Agriculture was given a short shrift.
Which is understandable, given how weak agricultural economies were next to industrial economies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2009, 10:11:30 AM
The British always seemed to always be launching naval invasion in Vicky.  The WWI scenario would normally end with the Millions of British soldiers overrunning North Germany while Germany can't get through Belgium and East Prussia is completely overrun.

This is true. As the USA I never invade Canada for that reason.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2009, 01:03:57 AM
I got that impression as well so far.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum