News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

It's official. Yay!

QuoteA sequel to the 2003 cult-hit, with a large devout following around the world. Victoria 2 is a grand strategy game played during the colonial era of the 19th century, where the player takes control over a country, guiding it through industrialisation, political reforms, military conquest and colonisation. Guide the USA to its Manifest Destiny, Make United Kingdom into a world-spanning empire, and make Germany the dominating nation in Europe.

Features
• Deep engrossing political simulation, with dozens of different types of governments.
• Detailed economy with over fifty different type of goods and factories.
• Historical game-play on a large map covering the entire world.
• Over 200 different countries can be played, from 1835 to the start of world war 2.
• Advanced Technological system with thousands of inventions to be discovered.
• Possibility to export a save game at the end of the game into HoI3.
• A streamlined interface, which makes the game easily accessible.
• Automation of various tasks, including trade and population promotion.
• Advanced spheres of influences system, where the great powers battle over the control of the world.
• New types of pops, including bureaucrats and artisans.
• Cottage production simulating pre-industrial economies.
• Gunboat Diplomacy, no need for negotiate as a fleet outside a port may be a more persuasive argument.
• Overhaul of education, where clergy educates people of the same religion, and each pops have their own literacy levels.
• More reform categories with more options to select from in each.
• New election system with coalition governments and an upper house/senate.
• Historical and Dynamic missions guiding your country through the history.
• Thousands of historical events and decisions.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Sort of wished for CK2, but hey, this at least is more interesting than HoI3. Also expansions for EU3 and EU2 (user made).
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I've hope for this one. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2009, 02:09:38 AM
I've hope for this one. :)

Definitely. I also have hope for the EU3 expansion:

QuoteRequested by the fans, Heir to the Throne is the third expansion to the
preeminent historical strategy game Europa Universalis III. The expansion takes the hugely successful game beyond complete, with improvements across the board:

Features
• Intriguing Casus Belli system, where wars have specific goals from start to finish.
• Monarchs now belong to dynasties, with far reaching effects on the diplomatic model.
• More involving and powerful Holy Roman Empire and Papacy options.
• Special diplomatic options for Republics.
• Set your National Focus in a province to enhance growth and strengthen your hold in the region.
• Permanent Terra Incognita removed and replaced with impassable regions.
• Cultural Tradition allows better advisors in the same way that Military Tradition allows better generals and admirals.
• Spheres of Influence simulate the Great Game of the major powers.
• More dynamic pirates. Issue letters of marque to plague the sea zones of rival nations.
• Monarchs need to uphold their legitimacy in the eyes of their subjects
• Many other additions and improvements.

Octavian

Quote from: Liep on August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM
It's official. Yay!

QuoteA sequel to the 2003 cult-hit, with a large devout following around the world. Victoria 2 is a grand strategy game played during the colonial era of the 19th century, where the player takes control over a country, guiding it through industrialisation, political reforms, military conquest and colonisation. Guide the USA to its Manifest Destiny, Make United Kingdom into a world-spanning empire, and make Germany the dominating nation in Europe.

Features
• Deep engrossing political simulation, with dozens of different types of governments.
• Detailed economy with over fifty different type of goods and factories.
• Historical game-play on a large map covering the entire world.
• Over 200 different countries can be played, from 1835 to the start of world war 2.
• Advanced Technological system with thousands of inventions to be discovered.
• Possibility to export a save game at the end of the game into HoI3.
• A streamlined interface, which makes the game easily accessible.
• Automation of various tasks, including trade and population promotion.
• Advanced spheres of influences system, where the great powers battle over the control of the world.
• New types of pops, including bureaucrats and artisans.
• Cottage production simulating pre-industrial economies.
• Gunboat Diplomacy, no need for negotiate as a fleet outside a port may be a more persuasive argument.
• Overhaul of education, where clergy educates people of the same religion, and each pops have their own literacy levels.
• More reform categories with more options to select from in each.
• New election system with coalition governments and an upper house/senate.
• Historical and Dynamic missions guiding your country through the history.
• Thousands of historical events and decisions.

Good news!
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

MadBurgerMaker

Victoria 2?  Very nice.

Tamas

NOOOOO!!!!!!!! WHERE IS MY CK2?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone  :cry:

Besides, frankly, without seeing neither, I have more confidence in AGEOD's cover of the period. Especially because they want Vicky2 to go until WW2.

The EU3 expansion do sounds good however, can't wait for that.

Viking

Features
• Intriguing Casus Belli system, where wars have specific goals from start to finish.

This I believe will be hard to implement or stupid. "Switzerland's war aim is the conquest of the colony in Havana!." They just need a port first. Expect that war to last forever.

• Monarchs now belong to dynasties, with far reaching effects on the diplomatic model.

This might be fun. This might cause the human player to actually allow an A.I. power to continue to exist rather than raping them at the first opportunity since this might mean that the king in your neighboring country with the same dynasty will cooperate with you and keep good relations. This will also allow for house rules that limit the human player more.

• More involving and powerful Holy Roman Empire and Papacy options.

I usually just ignore the those two. Maybe not anymore?

• Special diplomatic options for Republics.

OK, lets see.

• Set your National Focus in a province to enhance growth and strengthen your hold in the region.

I'm confused, what is this?

• Permanent Terra Incognita removed and replaced with impassable regions.

YEAH!!! at long last the great innovation from ETW has migrated to another game! (sort of)

• Cultural Tradition allows better advisors in the same way that Military Tradition allows better generals and admirals.

This is a good good idea. Previously the pure randomness meant that mere number of provinces (and possibly population) were the only factors.

• Spheres of Influence simulate the Great Game of the major powers.

Facinating? How will this work?

• More dynamic pirates. Issue letters of marque to plague the sea zones of rival nations.

Again, a part of the game I just ignore. The BB is just too great a penalty for the minor irritant of som pirates that will probably end up in my waters anyway.

• Monarchs need to uphold their legitimacy in the eyes of their subjects

Limit on players YEAH!

• Many other additions and improvements.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

The HRE stuff and the spheres of influence are hopefully ripoffs of the SRI mod's HRE and Great Power systems because they work quite well.

Razgovory

Wow.  I didn't think this would ever come.  I mean, Vicky wasn't exactly a commercial success.  Or even a technical one.  The game really didn't work that well even with the expansion.  Hopefully this will be better!

I guess I'll have to rev up EU3 again as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Excellent news on both counts  :cool:
I might even buy them on release.

Josquius

:w00t:
My being down-beat these past few days has just been resolved.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

QuoteThousands of historical events and decisions.

Of which only dozens involve countries not named Sweden.

Razgovory

Did they ever make that Rome game any good?  I never showed any interest in it but maybe I ought to give it a spin.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

barkdreg

Quote from: Viking on August 19, 2009, 03:04:28 AM

Hopefully this will be a change to the pirates that pop up randomnly , not only the ones that get created by the spy option.