And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Tamas is also an AGEOD fanboi although it is hard to see how one could ever become such...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2009, 12:26:31 PM
The p-dox comments suggest that pop promotion will be automated or at least automatable.

IIRC nonlinearity was a function of engine limitations and the need to meet relatively low system requirements as of the date of release.  I would expect (hope?) that it would not be retained in the sequel.
I'm not sure that was the case.  I think the non-linearity was there to give low-population European countries a boost over high population uncivilized ones.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2009, 12:12:07 PM

Plus, the new reforms and stuff: again, Paradox' biggest shortcoming is being Swedish: they ignore naval matters, and they think the entire political development thing is as easy as "go reformist and democratic asap -> profit" It did not work that way, just look at two major players of the era, Austria and Russia, for whom selection was between (limited or total) authocracy or doom, due to the etnhic and economical setup of their countries.
They may address this in Vicky 2, but they failed to mention it among the features.

Hungary still hasn't made that leap
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2009, 01:00:09 PM
Tamas is also an AGEOD fanboi although it is hard to see how one could ever become such...

Oh please :rolleyes: Like I did not defend EU3 against the storm of nostalgic elderly people here. If I have any subjective opposition against Vicky2, it is the fact that it is not CK2, the current #1 on my dream list.

And my point was sort of that adding new reforms, if not coupled with a big overhaul of the whole system is just a waste of energy because there was no lack of reforms in Vicky1, there was the opposite: too much and too early effect of them.

garbon

Didn't you have some complaint about two companies working on the same time period (like two WWI's or something like that)? Am I making this up? :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

yes, I did say that AGEOD and Pdox should not be competing for the same time period at the same time. The genre is badly supplied even without the only two publisher making the same kind of game.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2009, 01:08:46 PM
I'm not sure that was the case.  I think the non-linearity was there to give low-population European countries a boost over high population uncivilized ones.

I know that is why some fans favor it, but I don't recall the designers ever using that rationale.

If so, it is a terrible, TERRIBLE idea as the ahistorical attemtps to create Great Powers from pygmies is hardly something that should be encouraged by the game structure if avoidable.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2009, 01:44:02 PM
yes, I did say that AGEOD and Pdox should not be competing for the same time period at the same time.

But the AGEOD product seems to very different in everything other than time period and the fact that it is a strategy game.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2009, 12:12:07 PM
As much fun as I had playing Vicky and its expansion, and as much work I invested in it as a beta tester (Victoria was the first Paradox game I was chosen to beta. Oh the joy when I learned I was selected), this sequel is a bad idea.

They need to fundamentally brake the original design and move it toward EU3ism to make it worthwile, but considering all the stuff (much-much less randomness is permitted here than in EU3), it has to be a masterpiece, or it will fail.
And the 1936 thing - it is horrible. The entire reason WW1 was fought the way it was due to the fact that while the ruling class continued to play its post-napoleonic power plays, massive changes occured "under the hood". This is a bad idea.

Yeah, rather than moving the ending back they should have moved the beginning up to 1795.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sahib

Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Valmy

Great news!  I loved the Victoria era but I was a little frustrated with the game.  I hope it is better this time around.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

Hm, I remember doing a lot of work for the Victoria beta (with Hortlund as my immediate supervisor :D). I'll certainly apply for the beta this time round, I'm sitting on top of a treasure trove of Victorian historical material. :w00t:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 19, 2009, 03:41:38 PM
Yeah, rather than moving the ending back they should have moved the beginning up to 1795.

Problem is that then a game about the era of industrialization runs for about 50 years before there is much in the way of significant industralization in most places.

IMO it makes more sense to sweep in 1921-1935 than the whole French revolutionary/Napoleonic epoch. 
--Joan Robinson