News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sony cuts price of PlayStation 3 by $100

Started by garbon, August 18, 2009, 02:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 19, 2009, 06:05:27 AM
You do know that the Wii can play all Gamecubes game?

Yes, but I'm quickly falling out of love with the Wii's library of games as well, so the GameCube can play all those games- at a tenth of the price. :contract:
Experience bij!

Seen

It depends a bit on the package but this could be the deal I was waiting for. Not just for the blue ray but more as a cheap(er) alternative for a media centre.  :)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Seen on August 19, 2009, 06:29:35 PM
It depends a bit on the package but this could be the deal I was waiting for. Not just for the blue ray but more as a cheap(er) alternative for a media centre.  :)

Was talking about this earlier with somebody- he mostly used it to stream stuff ala media center, but it's absolutely refused to do it since the last firmware update, so he ended up trading it in for a 360.
Experience bij!

Tonitrus

Quote from: derspiess on August 19, 2009, 09:56:58 AM

Anyone know if the PS3 will upscale standard DVDs?

It does.

It also plays videos off of thumb drives (and likely other standard portable HDDs, via the UBS-controller ports), which is useful for those with a digital media library.

Seen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 19, 2009, 07:07:51 PM
Quote from: Seen on August 19, 2009, 06:29:35 PM

Was talking about this earlier with somebody- he mostly used it to stream stuff ala media center, but it's absolutely refused to do it since the last firmware update, so he ended up trading it in for a 360.
O, thanks for the heads up. Ill check it out.

Lucidor

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 19, 2009, 09:03:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 19, 2009, 09:56:58 AM

Anyone know if the PS3 will upscale standard DVDs?

It does.

It also plays videos off of thumb drives (and likely other standard portable HDDs, via the UBS-controller ports), which is useful for those with a digital media library.
I've read there are some problems with drives that are USB powered ons oem videos, but can't remember if that was on the PS3 as well. My older WD works excellent, since it's not dependent on the power supply from the PS3.

Barrister

And it's official:

XBox 360 Elite for $299 starting Friday.

:shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Cecil

I wonder how much money the PS3 has cost Sony up until now. AFAIK its been one huge money pit.

derspiess

Either Engadget or Gizmodo did some benchmarking on the PS3 Slim vs. the 1st generation PS3.  While the PS3 slim consumes half the power of the original, it takes 2x longer to load a damned Blu-ray disc.  No thanks.

Oh, and you can't load Linux on the Slim :o :o :o
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

I also read that it has no ps2 compatibility. Not that I'd need it but: :thumbsdown:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2009, 04:53:36 PM
I also read that it has no ps2 compatibility. Not that I'd need it but: :thumbsdown:

A wise latina would avoid a ps3 at all cost!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 18, 2009, 07:06:44 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 18, 2009, 06:01:16 PM
If it does come out though my money is on PS3, the Wii doesn't do real games and the 360 still seems to be alergic to J-RPGs.

I'm betting on Wii for Suikoden VI at this point.  There are quite a few real games on it now, and like the makers of Dragon Quest X, they might go with the biggest system in the main market jrpg, Japan.

But Suikoden VI on PS3 would get me to buy it.  I also want Disgaea 3 and Valykyrie Chroniscles.

$299 is a really good deal for what you get, I just wished it had PS2 compatibility, as mine is broken now.

PS2 are dirt cheap now and can be chip-modded unlike retro-compatible PS3s.

BuddhaRhubarb

I'm very likely going to buy a "slim model" next month (3 paycheque month) About 70/30 Blu ray/Gaming for me. I want to Play Arkham Asylum among other new games.
:p

Alcibiades

Pretty sure I'll be buying this within the next month to augment this :  58" plasma
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain