News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sony cuts price of PlayStation 3 by $100

Started by garbon, August 18, 2009, 02:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Why plasma? Aren't they the worst kind of hd-tvs?
██████
██████
██████

Alcibiades

Quicker refresh times, deeper blacks.  Cheaper when they get over 50" too.

http://www.avforums.com/tv/index.php?videoid=51  - Explains the differences and stuff
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2009, 04:53:36 PM
I also read that it has no ps2 compatibility. Not that I'd need it but: :thumbsdown:

People were buying too many PS2 games instead of PS3 ones.  Had to go.  Too bad, my PS2 needs to be replaced.

Josquius

Quote from: Alcibiades on September 02, 2009, 08:08:20 AM
Quicker refresh times, deeper blacks.  Cheaper when they get over 50" too.

http://www.avforums.com/tv/index.php?videoid=51  - Explains the differences and stuff
Black is good?
When I was in the TV shop there was a display of the 3 types on top of each other. LCD and LED seemed debatable. Plasma though was definatly a lot duller and...just naffer.
Cheapness though is of course good.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Tyr-- Plasma traditionally did black levels better, meaning if you were watching a movie (or playing a game) with dark scenes, you would see a lot more details.  Earlier LCDs were horrible at this, mostly due to the backlight (Plasma doesn't use a backlight).  I have to turn brightness up on a few games in order to see what I'm doing.

LCDs have gotten a lot better at contrast ratios over the past couple years, and both plasmas and LCDs have improved to the point where the difference between the two isn't too great.  Die-hard enthusiasts for one or the other may dispute that, as well as ill-informed people who are going by dated information.

Of course, it all boils down to what looks good to you. 

Plasma is dying out, due to obvious production inefficiencies with producing both.  I believe the reason LCD got the nod was that so many monitors & other displays are LCD.  So there are some excellent deals to be had on plasmas that are being 'clearanced' out of stores. 

OLED may supersede LCD at some point, but the slow economy seems to be slowing its development.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall