Vista finally rears its ugly head for me

Started by DontSayBanana, August 17, 2009, 09:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

BTW, never mind on the bi-hourly shutdowns. I just found the relevant article and realized it was talking about March 2010, not March 2009- I'm already registered to receive a copy of 7 at launch in October, so I don't think I'm going to have a problem with that.
Experience bij!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2009, 10:04:13 AM
And for all you Linux-heads, I have had more boot problems with Linux distros than I ever did with Windows-- and the Windows problems were easier to fix.  Don't get me wrong, I love me some Ubuntu, but Linux is not always more reliable than Windows.

I'm curious as to what your issue is.  I haven't had startup issues with Linux in several years, unless I caused them by screwing around with shit. :P

DontSayBanana

Quote from: vonmoltke on August 17, 2009, 09:20:31 PM
I'm curious as to what your issue is.  I haven't had startup issues with Linux in several years, unless I caused them by screwing around with shit. :P

:mellow: Me too. I've had Xandros since late 2005 and it's never once given me a problem. Derspiess, did you go for vanilla installs or did you try to customize them?

Also, were you dual-booting or flying solo? As I understand it, the LILO bootloader is pretty fragile and has chronic problems with dismounting OSes.
Experience bij!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 17, 2009, 09:26:10 PM
the LILO bootloader

:projectilevomit:

The holdout distros need to do the community a favor and switch to Grub, except on the few platforms where LILO is absolutely necessary.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: vonmoltke on August 17, 2009, 09:28:40 PM
:projectilevomit:

The holdout distros need to do the community a favor and switch to Grub, except on the few platforms where LILO is absolutely necessary.

Tell me about it- and yet, I'm always seeing more posts by LILO fanboiz than GRUB afficionados. My version of Xandros uses a custom bootloader (possibly derived from GRUB) that thankfully has proven pretty sturdy.
Experience bij!