News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Vista finally rears its ugly head for me

Started by DontSayBanana, August 17, 2009, 09:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 17, 2009, 10:08:57 AM
If you really wanna get indepth run a HijackThis scan and post the log on the webpage, someone will go through it and tell you if there is anything in there that shouldn't be.

Malwarebytes is pretty good. 

Don't leave your computer without AV protection. Put AVG Free on there if you have to.

Run a chkdsk, preferably from a BartPE disk/

Wasn't planning on running sans AV- right now, my top priority is stabilizing the system, and then I'll start adding components back in.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2009, 10:04:13 AM
Dunno-- if you've pre-ordered an upgrade copy, it may require you to have Vista installed first before you can install that copy come October.  Unless there is a work-around like there was with Vista-- but even with that you might have to reinstall the OS.
I don't think you need any OS installed with the upgrade version.  AFAIK, all you need is the product key for Vista (and you won't even need that if the double installation loophole would still work).

Caliga

:huh: The loophole still works.  I installed a new HD two weeks ago and used it to get a clean install of Vista x64 on there.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 17, 2009, 09:57:13 AM
McAfee has been fucking up computers around here lately.  I'm not sure why, but it is pissing me off.

Lately? McAfee has been fucking up systems for well over a decade now... almost as long as Norton.
:p

Caliga

Using McAfee and Norton to protect your PC is like trying to avoid getting the flu by sticking a shotgun in your mouth and pulling the trigger.  Sure, you won't get a virus in that case.  :D

IMO you don't need to be running AV software at all.  Just back your data up and if you get a virus, reinstall.  Fixed.

DGuller

I think that's a terrible advice.  What if the virus is a key logger that steals your credit card information, instead of the kind that fucks up your system?  There are plenty of those out there.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on August 17, 2009, 12:37:40 PM
Using McAfee and Norton to protect your PC is like trying to avoid getting the flu by sticking a shotgun in your mouth and pulling the trigger.  Sure, you won't get a virus in that case.  :D

IMO you don't need to be running AV software at all.  Just back your data up and if you get a virus, reinstall.  Fixed.

DG's right, Cal. There's a lot more data miners and keyloggers out there now, and those typically don't show up in suspect files; they attach themselves to native Windows elements, like Notepad or Wordpad.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Congratulations, Jim. Looks like the problem's a defective HDD. <_<
Experience bij!

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2009, 12:39:12 PM
I think that's a terrible advice.  What if the virus is a key logger that steals your credit card information, instead of the kind that fucks up your system?  There are plenty of those out there.
So?  Dispute the charges.

OMG what if there is a mugger waiting to ambush me when I leave the house?  I better not leave anymore.  :(

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 17, 2009, 12:52:25 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2009, 12:39:12 PM

OMG what if there is a mugger waiting to ambush me when I leave the house?  I better not leave anymore.  :(

I like your thinking!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

:lmfao: I was thinking of making a Raz joke with that but I didn't want to risk hurting your feelings.  :(

DontSayBanana

And when something criminal goes down, and they only have your personal information to tie to it? Proactive security is not completely :tinfoil:, Cal. Real men do use firewalls.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on August 17, 2009, 12:52:25 PM
Not everything of that sort is easily undone, and none can be undone without a big headache.  Identity theft is something that is much, much worse than a virus fucking up your system.

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 17, 2009, 12:48:47 PM
Congratulations, Jim. Looks like the problem's a defective HDD. <_<
That's what I suspected.  I was right.

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 17, 2009, 12:58:58 PM
And when something criminal goes down, and they only have your personal information to tie to it? Proactive security is not completely :tinfoil:, Cal. Real men do use firewalls.
Who said I don't use a firewall?  I'm speaking strictly about antivirus software here.