News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you have attacked the Soviet Union?

Started by Faeelin, August 15, 2009, 02:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2009, 06:03:13 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 16, 2009, 04:22:20 AM
Undoubtedly.

I would be willing to sacrifice up to 10% of the American population in order to destroy the menace that is the slavic race.

If germans and/or french could be sent in as cannonfodder in the front of this operation, so much the better.

I think the better question is this: Would you continue the drive through Russia and into China or would perhaps the effort be better spent in developing the nuclear capacity to destroy the red chineese?

I'd be willing to sacrifice 100% of the Swedish immigrant population.
Shit, I'd sacrifice all of Sweden.  Nuke Stockholm, just to make sure they they aren't shipping iron ore and ball bearings to Leningrad.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

There's nothing to sacrifice.  Sweden wouldn't have fought.  They would have stuck their heads in the snow, undid their pants and stuck their pale butts in the air waiting patiently for the ass fucking of a life time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

In retrospect, I might have been more aggressive in Eastern Europe and China.  They still didn't have nukes, and I think we could have scared the USSR into giving Hungary and Poland a reasonably fair shake, and maybe intervening in China.  Though any kind of anti-Communist intervention in China would stand significant changes of becoming Vietnam on crack.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on August 16, 2009, 10:30:32 AM
and I think we could have scared the USSR into giving Hungary and Poland a reasonably fair shake, and maybe intervening in China.

Wrong.

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2009, 10:40:26 AM
and I think we could have scared the USSR into giving Hungary and Poland a reasonably fair shake, and maybe intervening in China.

Wrong.
Maybe, but we played it as though the Soviets had some kind of clear advantage materially and popular support in Eastern Europe.  That, in retrospect, was clearly untrue. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on August 16, 2009, 11:08:41 AM
Maybe, but we played it as though the Soviets had some kind of clear advantage materially and popular support in Eastern Europe.  That, in retrospect, was clearly untrue.

Those attributes were offset by Stalin and his clinical psychosis.

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on August 16, 2009, 11:08:41 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2009, 10:40:26 AM

Wrong.

If we rearmed the Wehrmacht they would.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

The poles would be falling over themselves to collaborate again if the Wehrmacht was rearmed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I don't think you'll get the Soviets to budge a inch in Poland.
With Hungary there could be a possibility though, its small and away from the Soviet border. Maybe it could be Yugoslaviaised- communist but neutral.

QuoteThe poles would be falling over themselves to collaborate again if the Wehrmacht was rearmed.
I know you're doing the whole 'The Poles are Jew killing nazi lovers' schtick thing but....that is a interesting thing to consider.
Would they be able to support the people who had been mass murdering them a few years earlier to oust the people imposing a totaltarian government on them now?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

There would have been zero support for this in US, since wartime propaganda had convinced the American people that the USSR was one of our allies for FREEDOM!

I doubt the Germans had it in them in 1945 to suit up and push back against the Red menace either.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

There was no political support.  Besides, I have doubts if the US/UK could win a conventional war in Europe against the Soviets, even with atomic weapons.  The US had very few atomic bombs, and those weren't very powerful to start with.  Re-arming the Germans would not be politically possible, after years of demonization, and the discovery of the camps. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 16, 2009, 11:17:32 PM
There was no political support.  Besides, I have doubts if the US/UK could win a conventional war in Europe against the Soviets, even with atomic weapons

I think we could if we were really committed to it.  The Soviet Military had lost so many men.

But yeah neither the US nor the UK could fight a war without popular support.  Stupid Democracy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lettow77

A wehrmacht, subsidised and supported by America's industry, -certaintly- had it in them to suit up and go east again. A sovereign & strong germany along with the destruction of communism are powerful motivators, and there were still able men enough.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2009, 11:50:25 PM
I think we could if we were really committed to it.  The Soviet Military had lost so many men.
And the French, Greek, Italian civil wars that would have inevitably followed an invasion of the USSR.  Those three are guaranteed, others could have happened.
Let's bomb Russia!