Was the Munich agreement really what Hitler wanted?

Started by Razgovory, August 21, 2009, 11:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

(inspired by the German thread that Marty created)

Although Hitler got a great deal of the Munich agreement and of course broke it almost immediately with no fear of repercussion.  He didn't seem to pleased with it.  I'm not sure exactly what he wanted.  Did he for some reason actually want to start a war in 1938?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

The hunt and the anticipation had proven better than the actual thing. The idea of Munich was so much grander than the experience. Hitler suffered from post-Munich depression.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2009, 11:24:48 PM
(inspired by the German thread that Marty created)

Although Hitler got a great deal of the Munich agreement and of course broke it almost immediately with no fear of repercussion.  He didn't seem to pleased with it.  I'm not sure exactly what he wanted.  Did he for some reason actually want to start a war in 1938?

I don't know if he actually wanted a war in 1938 or not, but it sure seems like he got to a point where he wanted war even if people were willing to give in to his demands.  Apparantly he was quite emphatic in 1939 that there would be war with Poland, even if the Poles agreed to turn over the Polish corridor to him.  This appalled his generals and admirals--he had told them to expect a war, but not before 1946 at the earliest.

I think that maybe what really made him mad about the Munich agreement was that there was an implication that Germany was getting the Sudenten not because of his efforts, or because they had a right to it, but rather that they were getting it on the sufferage of the British and French.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2009, 11:24:48 PMI'm not sure exactly what he wanted. 

Dude, it was fucking Hitler.  He was insane.  You douchebag.

Alatriste

As far as we know, yes, in 1938 he wanted war, so much that he didn't even want to receive Chamberlain. It took the best efforts of Goering, Ribbentrop, Mussolini, etc, to convince Hitler otherwise. But, if I have understood correctly, he didn't want or expect a general war, i.e. he fully expected France and Britain to leave the Czechs in the lurch once Germans soldiers crossed the border, entered the Sudeten and were received with flowers and candy, and Poles and Romanians to refuse Soviet forces access to Czechoslovakia . Some gamble, but above all Hitler was a gambler...

And the same happened in 1939. He wanted war, but war with Poland alone. Again, he expected France and Britain to be so frightened by his treaty with Stalin as to dishonour their alliances, and was utterly shocked when they didn't.