News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Converting to Judaism in ancient times

Started by viper37, August 14, 2009, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: PRC on August 25, 2009, 11:15:40 AM
Key words: "I really don't know much about it."  It seems like you change the goal posts when it comes to allowing that Mormons are Christian... 
Yeah.  That's because I don't like them.  I'm not even happy calling Mormonism a religion.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: PRC on August 25, 2009, 09:56:17 AM
Mormons believe Christ is divine, by your definition they're Christian - yet you've also stated in this thread that they're not.

If I include Christ in my Pantheon of Pagan Gods am I a Christian?  Of course not, because there is more to being a Christian than just thinking Christ is divine.

What if I think Christ is a divine goat in human form?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PRC

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2009, 11:23:51 AM
If I include Christ in my Pantheon of Pagan Gods am I a Christian?  Of course not, because there is more to being a Christian than just thinking Christ is divine.

What if I think Christ is a divine goat in human form?

What if you believe he is the saviour and redeemer of mankind?

Anyways "what if" is an endless game.  I've said before, I know and work with a bunch Mormons... everyone of them is a decent and upstanding citizen and while their beliefs may be wacky to me they are not more wacky than the beliefs of Catholics or Baptists or whoever.  They believe in Christ and call themselves Christians - so i grant them that they are Christians.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on August 25, 2009, 11:30:09 AM
Anyways "what if" is an endless game.  I've said before, I know and work with a bunch Mormons... everyone of them is a decent and upstanding citizen and while their beliefs may be wacky to me they are not more wacky than the beliefs of Catholics or Baptists or whoever.  They believe in Christ and call themselves Christians - so i grant them that they are Christians.

Well I would argue that the beliefs of Mormons are significantly more wacky than other Christians (sacred underpants anyone?), but I entirely agree with everything else you said.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: PRC on August 25, 2009, 11:30:09 AM
everyone of them is a decent and upstanding citizen

So are lots of people.  Every religion is full of decent and upstanding citizens.  I don't get what relevence that has to their beliefs.

QuoteThey believe in Christ and call themselves Christians - so i grant them that they are Christians

That is their opinion and they are welcome to it.  Are you saying we should not debate this topic and just hug and agree everybody is a Christian regardless of what they believe?  Because that sounds rather intellectually lazy and boring to me.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2009, 11:34:44 AM
Well I would argue that the beliefs of Mormons are significantly more wacky than other Christians (sacred underpants anyone?)

Preaching all black people are going to hell for decades simply for being black is cool so long as you are nice and upstanding people (which all Mormons are...regardless of the fact most of their beliefs are repugnant).  Oh and God changed his mind on the all black people are going to hell thing.  Sometimes you have to go back and alter the un-alterable word of God.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2009, 11:38:03 AM
Preaching all black people are going to hell for decades simply for being black is cool so long as you are nice and upstanding people (which all Mormons are...regardless of the fact most of their beliefs are repugnant).  Oh and God changed his mind on the all black people are going to hell thing.  Sometimes you have to go back and alter the un-alterable word of God.
He was just misquoted. What he really said is that all black people are going to have a hell of a good time in heaven. he had a bad connection on his holy phone, so some of the words were cut off.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PRC

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2009, 11:35:04 AM
So are lots of people.  Every religion is full of decent and upstanding citizens.  I don't get what relevence that has to their beliefs.
I grant people I know and like more leeway in their ways than I grant to people I don't know leeway in their ways.  If I didn't know any Mormons i'd probably be on your side of the debate - or just not care at all.  Having met, conversed and communicated with some, I grant them some respect for their beliefs.

That is their opinion and they are welcome to it.  Are you saying we should not debate this topic and just hug and agree everybody is a Christian regardless of what they believe?  Because that sounds rather intellectually lazy and boring to me.

No, i'm not saying that.

Barrister

No, but rather that everyone who says they are a Christian can be called a Christian.  It's not like there's any magical advantage to being called a Christian after all.

It may be "boring", but trying to come up with needlessly complicated and obscure definitions and barriers on who is or is not a Christian seems to have little point.

PRC

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2009, 11:38:03 AM

Pretty sure we could find some nefarious preaching on the part of "true Christians" as well.  Moving away from those aspects should be a cause for applause.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2009, 11:48:42 AM
No, but rather that everyone who says they are a Christian can be called a Christian.

I can see why some Christians may find that unsatisfactory.  I don't particular care for it when "Jews for Jesus" types call themselves Jews.  It may not impact my life directly but it strikes me as fraudulent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PRC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 25, 2009, 11:51:24 AM
I can see why some Christians may find that unsatisfactory.  I don't particular care for it when "Jews for Jesus" types call themselves Jews.  It may not impact my life directly but it strikes me as fraudulent.

Are "Jews for Jesus" Christians?  Are Christians Post-Messianic Jews?

Malthus

Quote from: PRC on August 25, 2009, 11:53:05 AM

Are "Jews for Jesus" Christians?  Are Christians Post-Messianic Jews?

Yes and no.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2009, 11:48:42 AM
No, but rather that everyone who says they are a Christian can be called a Christian.

I think if someone calls themselves a "Jew for Jesus" you know exactly where they stand.  I don't see how it could be fraudulent.