News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Converting to Judaism in ancient times

Started by viper37, August 14, 2009, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: PRC on August 19, 2009, 02:15:29 PM
Most of the Mormons I know have framed pictures of Christ in prominent positions in their homes and offices.  I'd think the whole worshipping Christ thing makes them Christians.
How do you know it's jesus in the pic?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on August 19, 2009, 09:26:40 PM
  Several of us were of the opinion that if one subscribes to the doctrines presented in the Nicene Creed (or other, similar statements of faith), that would suffice to describe your beliefs as Christian.

Sufficient perhaps, but surely not necessary.  Otherwise the Arians wouldn't qualify as Christian.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PRC

Quote from: Maximus on August 20, 2009, 07:29:24 AM
How do you know it's jesus in the pic?

I guess I just assumed it was.  How do you know it's Jesus on the Cross? 

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2009, 09:52:47 AM
Quote from: dps on August 19, 2009, 09:26:40 PM
  Several of us were of the opinion that if one subscribes to the doctrines presented in the Nicene Creed (or other, similar statements of faith), that would suffice to describe your beliefs as Christian.

Sufficient perhaps, but surely not necessary.  Otherwise the Arians wouldn't qualify as Christian.

Damn Arians. Buncha skinheads. Can't even spell.   :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: PRC on August 20, 2009, 10:08:17 AM
I guess I just assumed it was.  How do you know it's Jesus on the Cross? 

It could be Kirk Douglas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PRC

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2009, 10:11:40 AM
It could be Kirk Douglas.

Nah, the chin didn't have a cleft you could drive a truck down.

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2009, 09:52:47 AMSufficient perhaps, but surely not necessary.  Otherwise the Arians wouldn't qualify as Christian.
The irony of your statement is that Mormon theology as it relates to Christology is identical to the ancient Arian position.  Obviously there is no direct connection between the LDS Church and Arian Christianity, but I guess you could get away with calling them "Arian Christians".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on August 20, 2009, 01:00:27 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2009, 09:52:47 AMSufficient perhaps, but surely not necessary.  Otherwise the Arians wouldn't qualify as Christian.
The irony of your statement is that Mormon theology as it relates to Christology is identical to the ancient Arian position.  Obviously there is no direct connection between the LDS Church and Arian Christianity, but I guess you could get away with calling them "Arian Christians".
Not really.  The Arians don't believe that God physically penetrated Mary, or that Jesus visited the Americas, or that both Jesus and God were great people on another planet who were chosen to become the Gods of this world. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

HVC

God were great people on another planet who were chosen to become the Gods of this world. 
[/quote]Wait, what? I knew the other weird stuff (israeli tribe in NA and that) but they think God"s an alien?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on August 20, 2009, 01:48:37 PMNot really.  The Arians don't believe that God physically penetrated Mary, or that Jesus visited the Americas, or that both Jesus and God were great people on another planet who were chosen to become the Gods of this world.
None of which has anything to do with Christology. :mellow:

Queequeg

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2009, 02:00:40 PM

Wait, what? I knew the other weird stuff (israeli tribe in NA and that) but they think God"s an alien?
It isn't the public face, but it is there.
http://scriptures.lds.org/en/3_ne/9/17#17
http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/132/20#20

If that sounds a lot like Satanism, that's because Mormonism flips all of Christianity on it's head and reverts back to Baal worship.

A Mormon Baptismal font. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on August 20, 2009, 02:56:51 PMMormonism flips all of Christianity on it's head and reverts back to Baal worship.
:huh:

uhm, no.  Just no.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 20, 2009, 02:30:41 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on August 20, 2009, 01:48:37 PMNot really.  The Arians don't believe that God physically penetrated Mary, or that Jesus visited the Americas, or that both Jesus and God were great people on another planet who were chosen to become the Gods of this world.
None of which has anything to do with Christology. :mellow:

Cal, why don't you bail out now?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2009, 03:07:15 PMCal, why don't you bail out now?

Perhaps because my statement is 100% accurate?  Christology is the nature/essence of Christ vs. God.  It has nothing to do with any apocryphal myths about what Jesus did in North America or any lost tribes or anything like that.

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on August 20, 2009, 03:08:47 PM

Perhaps because my statement is 100% accurate?  Christology is the nature/essence of Christ vs. God.  It has nothing to do with any apocryphal myths about what Jesus did in North America or any lost tribes or anything like that.
Has everything to do with Christology.  Traditional Mormon beliefs are that Jesus
A) is the result of a physical union between God and Mary.  As in humping and cumming and whatnot. Not true of any other Christian or even Muslim sect.
B) Jesus was Jehova in the Old Testament, while God is Yahweh.  So it is non-Monotheistic from the outset.
C) That people can become like Jesus, and become Jesus-like regents of their own planets. 

Let's look at Mormonism's other greatest inverted-Christian hits:
A) God isn't the creator of the Universe, he is from Kolob, he just created our solar system
B) The most important, oldest Mormon prayers all ask for material power, and expect to be rewarded with Godhood or near-Godhood in the next life.  Compare this with the oldest Christian prayers: all redemption and "THINE is the Kingdom, the Power and the Glory".   Christianity and Islam (for the most part on the last one) focus on servitude of God, Mormons focus upon their own wealth and success in the next world. 
C) Mormonism has consciously adopted the imagery of pre-Monotheistic Levantine religions, including Sun iconography and the spiritual importance of Bulls (hence the fountain).

As I've stated previously, Mormonism is to Christianty what the Nation of Islam is to Islam.  The two belong in their own category rather than in the Abrahamic tree.  I think the same might be true of Rastafarianism, but I'm not sure.  For some reason, America fermented some insane new faiths.