News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Converting to Judaism in ancient times

Started by viper37, August 14, 2009, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on August 19, 2009, 11:36:48 AM
more proof jesus is gay. His brothers come down and lay multiple hot chicks, Jesus comes down and touches no woemn and has a penchant for hanging around burly fishermen. Then he goes and dies in an extreem case of S&M gone bad. God must be so ashamed :( :P
You are so going to have to say a billion Hail Marys.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 11:43:18 AM
So?  The Ethiopian church has added books to the Bible but I don't see anyone saying they "aren't real Christians".

Nobody knows anything about them. :mellow:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 11:32:14 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on August 19, 2009, 11:28:20 AM
Wright, in the fantastically interesting Evolution of God, points out that several poems and stories in the Old Testament appear to be directly taken from Phonecian religion, with "Baal" replaced by "Yahweh".
Interesting, but not surprising.  The fish-hat thingy Benedict wears descends from some Sumerian priest hat.  :)
yes, and the staffs the bishops carry are the same as the Roman augurs carried. And apparently the the church recieved the augural books/scrolls too. The church beiing what it was they probably didn't destroy them

The Brain

I like the fact that the Pope's job is a lot older than Christ. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 11:10:43 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2009, 10:49:49 AM
My own take is that the very beginning (paul) Christianity made a Faustian pact - they decided to consciously work within and adapt pre-existing folk traditions, in order to speed expansion.
Yes.  I can't say for sure this was occurring as early as you put it, but if you read History of the English People by Bede it clearly describes missionaries to the Anglo-Saxons going out of their way to equate pagan customs/beliefs with Christian ones--hence why Easter is celebrated with the egg motif and Christmas with the evergreen tree one.

The evergreen tree was imported from Germany by Prince Albert in the 19th century.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

The Aztecs stole the pyramids from the Egyptians as well. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 11:43:18 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2009, 11:41:28 AM
The Book of Mormon. 'Real' Christians haven't been adding scripture for millennia.
So?  The Ethiopian church has added books to the Bible but I don't see anyone saying they "aren't real Christians".

Which ones?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 19, 2009, 12:04:48 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 11:32:14 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on August 19, 2009, 11:28:20 AM
Wright, in the fantastically interesting Evolution of God, points out that several poems and stories in the Old Testament appear to be directly taken from Phonecian religion, with "Baal" replaced by "Yahweh".
Interesting, but not surprising.  The fish-hat thingy Benedict wears descends from some Sumerian priest hat.  :)
yes, and the staffs the bishops carry are the same as the Roman augurs carried. And apparently the the church recieved the augural books/scrolls too. The church beiing what it was they probably didn't destroy them

Or maybe they were taken from the Crook and Flail of the Pharaohs!  The possibilities of  speculation are endless!

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2009, 11:37:30 AM
Genesis 6(2) states that God found humanity as a whole at the time wicked, with the singular exception of Noah;

One of my pet peeves about the Bible is informed righteousness.  Noah seems kind of like an asshole to me.  At least Moses tells God to fuck off when God says he is going to write the Israelites out of history.

Moses went out on a limb for the Israelites but Noah that selfish jerk is happy to let the whole of humanity die.  Noah sucks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2009, 01:14:01 PM
Genesis 6(2) states that God found humanity as a whole at the time wicked, with the singular exception of Noah;

One of my pet peeves about the Bible is informed righteousness.  Noah seems kind of like an asshole to me.  At least Moses tells God to fuck off when God says he is going to write the Israelites out of history.

Moses went out on a limb for the Israelites but Noah that selfish jerk is happy to let the whole of humanity die.  Noah sucks.

Noah is the only the most righteous guy in his time.  Of course it's a time so bad that everyone deserves to be drown.  So you really shouldn't expect him to be to nice.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2009, 01:22:34 PM
Noah is the only the most righteous guy in his time.  Of course it's a time so bad that everyone deserves to be drown.  So you really shouldn't expect him to be to nice.

Well you have a point there.

I have sometimes thought if maybe the lesson was that if Noah had done what Moses did maybe God would have spared the world.  That makes the story a bit more complex...and since it didn't really happen I think I like that version better.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2009, 01:22:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2009, 01:14:01 PM

Plus he was 600; he was probably extra cantankerous for having to yell at kids to get off his lawn for 540 years.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 11:39:21 AM
@ Mal
I only added the wiki quote because it was germane to the discussion and I thought it was vaguely interesting.  :huh:

It is interesting.  :)

I just think that this particular tradition contradicts the text.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Noah also had naked time with his son and then decreed that his son's descendants should be slaves.  They always say that a problem with incest is that it involves unequal positions of power. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2009, 01:31:34 PM
Noah also had naked time with his son and then decreed that his son's descendants should be slaves.  They always say that a problem with incest is that it involves unequal positions of power. :(

Yeah they do alot of the 'cursing/blessing entire lines of descendants' stuff in that book early on.

Heck the Jews even curse their own descendants for all enternity in the Gospel of John.