News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Converting to Judaism in ancient times

Started by viper37, August 14, 2009, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 06:58:14 PM
Oh come on, every Christian sect hates teh gays, other than the Episcopalians. 
Catholics don't.  They don't even notice most other sects.  They only acknowledge the Lutherans, Orthos and Anglicans as being anything even approaching a 'church'.  The rest are gnats.

The CofE is also significantly lacking in hate.  'We think you're a heretic doomed to eternal damnation and pain....but, come on, that's no reason not to come to our cake sale!'
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 06:38:22 PM
:huh:

er, that might work save for the fact that there are irreconcilable and directly contradictory differences between the three Abrahamic religions (e.g. Christians believe Jesus is the son of God, whereas the other two believe he is not the son of God).

Also, I know you have an irrational hatred for the LDS Church so I'm not sure why I'm even trying, but who are you to judge that Mormons are 'bad' Christians?  Mormons of course think that they are the best Christians (and the only Christians who are actually correct in their practices).  :D

Judaism, Christianity and Islam:
One God, who created everything, and loves either a people or people in general, and revealed himself to several prophets, all shared (except Muhammed and Jesus) in all religions.  Good works and deeds, respect for family, all necessary and moral, all to get an okay place in the next place.  There was or will be a messiah and an end date to history, at which point all peoples shall acknowledge that x faith was right all along.

Judaism and Islam: circumcision, virtually identical dietary restrictions, iconoclasm, existence of a sacred language and land (in Islam's case more the Hijaz than Palestine/Israel).  Very similar organizational structure, similar intellectual tradition.  Shared West Semitic traditions. 

Christianity and Islam: Evangelical faith, huge focus on resurrection and day when Jesus returns (in Islam as well) , some of the earliest Suras take a lot of stuff directly from the New Testament, similar Zoroastrian-influenced dualism and belief in anti-God (Satan, in Arabic Shaitan).

Christianity and Judaism: The Old Testament in its entirety.

Nation of Islam and Mormonism: There are multiple Gods, including female Gods, all of whom are made of flesh.  People who behave well can become Gods.  Both vastly divergent scriptures and focus, largescale ignorance of traditional practice.  Focus on self as opposed to Jewish, Christian and Muslim focus on community (look at the more basic Mormon prayers, they are all focused on personal empowerment)

Mormonism:  Resurrection of Canaanite bull imagery, sun imagery, belief that certain authority figures have direct line with God and talk to him daily.  Virulent anti-Trinitarianism. 

I think Islam, Judaism and Christianity are considered different largely because they attached to different cultures/empires and often focus on the minute differences rather than the vast similarities, but doctrinally they have way more in common than the big Hindu groups.  Especially if we go back to the starts of all three, it would have been obvious that they are all "heresies" of a single faith rather than totally new ones. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2009, 06:52:34 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 06:49:19 PM
They're amusing to toy with.  I've had several conversations with young men who were doing their missionary service.  Once I told them I was a Jew so they wouldn't bug me... which didn't work.  But they stopped trying to proselytize and proceeded to quiz me about Judaism, since they admitted to knowing nothing about it.  So we had a 30 minute conversation in which I educated them about The Tribe.  They actually told me they found Jews "really neat" and didn't cast aspersions on them.

Yeah I have had conversations with them as well.  As you say they are nice even if the literature and crap they gave me was....a tad disturbing.

But I mean it is not like they are Jehova's witnesses or anything.

Wait, there is a diference between the two?
I thought it was a diferent name for the same sect...

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 06:38:22 PM
Also, I know you have an irrational hatred for the LDS Church so I'm not sure why I'm even trying, but who are you to judge that Mormons are 'bad' Christians?  Mormons of course think that they are the best Christians (and the only Christians who are actually correct in their practices).  :D

Mormons aren't 'bad' Christians since they aren't Christians at all. :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 18, 2009, 05:08:39 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 14, 2009, 06:25:14 PM
The most famous convert to judaism in ancient times were the ancestors of Herod the Great. His family had only been jewish for a few generations.

You can see why an experience like that might make people be more cautious about performing more conversions . . .

Herod got a bad rap from the lunatic fringe of Jewish society. The alternative to Herod was becoming a Roman Province 100 years earlier.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

So the Baptists are just as bad, but you seemed to concede that anyway.

The other mainstream protestant sects at least have a respectable appearance.  The Baptists though openly flaunt their douchebaggery for all to see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2009, 11:59:10 PM
So the Baptists are just as bad, but you seemed to concede that anyway.

The other mainstream protestant sects at least have a respectable appearance.  The Baptists though openly flaunt their douchebaggery for all to see.
All protestants religions are weird. they're basically the crazy cast offs of other protestant sects just like the forebears before them :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2009, 07:44:42 PM
Oh come on, every Christian sect hates teh gays, other than the Episcopalians. 
Catholics don't.  They don't even notice most other sects.  They only acknowledge the Lutherans, Orthos and Anglicans as being anything even approaching a 'church'.  The rest are gnats.

The CofE is also significantly lacking in hate.  'We think you're a heretic doomed to eternal damnation and pain....but, come on, that's no reason not to come to our cake sale!'

I have never seen gone to Mass and seen a Catholic priest rant about gays.  In fact there's not a great deal of fire and brimstone at all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 18, 2009, 08:30:15 PMMormons aren't 'bad' Christians since they aren't Christians at all. :)

Kinda like what I said to Spellus, what authority do you have to decide that?  Mormons of course believe themselves to be Christian, and since it's ALL nonsense to me, I'm not bothered by what they claim vs. the significant differences between them and the other self-proclaimed Christian religions.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2009, 01:39:35 AMI have never seen gone to Mass and seen a Catholic priest rant about gays.  In fact there's not a great deal of fire and brimstone at all.
No, but the Catholic church still isn't tolerant of homosexuality.  Just because they don't fume about it Reverend Phelps-style doesn't mean they accept it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 05:28:14 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2009, 01:39:35 AMI have never seen gone to Mass and seen a Catholic priest rant about gays.  In fact there's not a great deal of fire and brimstone at all.
No, but the Catholic church still isn't tolerant of homosexuality.  Just because they don't fume about it Reverend Phelps-style doesn't mean they accept it.

No, but Caliga  still isn't tolerant of homosexuality.  Just because he doesn't fume about it Reverend Phelps-style doesn't mean he accepts it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga