News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How do you add diversity?

Started by Faeelin, August 14, 2009, 09:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

So, at Law Review Orientation, the Diversity Committee gave us a discussion of what they do, and how. Essentially they pick X number of students in the top half of the class for Law Review based on race, gender, socioeconomic background, nationality, academic background, sexual orientation, etc. etc.

However, there's a bit of a problem with the set up. Law review, and indeed the other journals, do not ask people to fill out a questionnaire asking about their diversity. Instead, diverse students are chosen by their application essay, which is supposed to discuss why they want to be on the journal. I'm sure everybody here can see the problem with that.  My question about "Doesn't this encourage students to box themselves in and mention their ethnicity or "diversity" over why they actually want to be here?" was kind of ignored, but I am curious.

Caliga

Quote from: Faeelin on August 14, 2009, 09:15:09 AM
So, at Law Review Orientation, the Diversity Committee gave us a discussion of what they do, and how. Essentially they pick X number of students in the top half of the class for Law Review based on race, gender, socioeconomic background, nationality, academic background, sexual orientation, etc. etc.
:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

I would write: 'As a gay female native american-Latina mix I can say that my view on this particular court case differs from the standard heteronormative white male view of the world.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2009, 09:19:06 AM
I would write: 'As a gay female native american-Latina mix

It all makes sense now!  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 09:16:44 AM

I dunno. I'm not averse to the idea of giving people from poor backgrounds a leg up. Some guy from a busted up coal mining town in Kentucky isn't gonna be as able to hack it as well as the daughter of a partner at a BigLaw firm, no?

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2009, 09:19:06 AM
I would write: 'As a gay female native american-Latina mix I can say that my view on this particular court case differs from the standard heteronormative white male view of the world.'

You laugh, but I avoided mentioning I was gay on my application because I thought it would cheapen my application. I got a few dirty looks when I mentioned that.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Faeelin on August 14, 2009, 09:42:12 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 09:16:44 AM

I dunno. I'm not averse to the idea of giving people from poor backgrounds a leg up. Some guy from a busted up coal mining town in Kentucky isn't gonna be as able to hack it as well as the daughter of a partner at a BigLaw firm, no?

Something like Berea college as a model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berea_College
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I would prefer they go to Beria college.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I've never heard of this Berea college before...Quite unfortunate for them that someone called Beria would pop up as what he was....

Anyway- giving advantages to poorer kids is a very very good move that I wholeheartedly support.
A kid from a poor family and a real shit hole of a place who does slightly worse than little miss over-privileged with her best school in the country and private tutors and whatnot stands out as the better candidate in my book.
Mixing this in with diversity of getting more blacks, gays, etc...though....not good at all.
Especially on the gay angle, that is just :blink: worthy. Do they test you to prove you actually are gay? Though Faelin thought it would cheapen his application I doubt many others would be so sporting.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

It's fairly well regarded here in Kentucky.  The best college in the state is Centre College.  The colleges are fairly close to one another (Berea is in the town of Berea, and Centre is in the town of Danville).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 10:09:48 AM
It's fairly well regarded here in Kentucky.  The best college in the state is Centre College.  The colleges are fairly close to one another (Berea is in the town of Berea, and Centre is in the town of Danville).

I remember Centre well they were in the same conference with my school.  I remember their volleyball team had this really peppy girl with pigtails on the team who would never shut up during the match:

'Come on Centre!'
'Let's go Centre!'
'Wahoo!  Centre!'

And so forth...boy did she love to say the word 'Centre'.  And she wasn't even on the bench cheerleading...she was actually playing on the court while she was doing this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

The best solution to the problem of unearned educational advantage is to address education at the primary level with improvements to schooling for those in less affluent areas, so that these pupils can later compete on an objective level with those from socially advantaged backgrounds.

There is no good purpose to be served, and many bad unintended consequences, to "adding diversity" by wieghing the balance in favour of certain backgrounds and ethnicities in what is, after all, professional education.

People at the professional level want results. The client simply does not care if you have "unearned advantage" because of your background. If you are having open heart surgery, or are facing ruin or imprisionment in a lawsuit, you want the *best professional* as far as it can be determined - whether or not they are the "best" because, in part, their ancestors were as lilly white as some brand of toilet paper, or Black as coal.

Perhaps it is different in a purely academic humanities discipline where "results" are highly subjective. In medicine and law, results are quite objective - the patient either dies or recovers, the lawsuit is either lost or won. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Faeelin

Quote from: Malthus on August 14, 2009, 10:18:11 AM
People at the professional level want results. The client simply does not care if you have "unearned advantage" because of your background. If you are having open heart surgery, or are facing ruin or imprisionment in a lawsuit, you want the *best professional* as far as it can be determined - whether or not they are the "best" because, in part, their ancestors were as lilly white as some brand of toilet paper, or Black as coal.

Perhaps it is different in a purely academic humanities discipline where "results" are highly subjective. In medicine and law, results are quite objective - the patient either dies or recovers, the lawsuit is either lost or won.

On the other hand, consider the marketing implications from a Law Review that has an all white, predominantly male student body.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.