News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a person a particular race?

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2009, 07:40:48 PM
Unlike English, which lacks a similar body AFAIK, correct Spanish is regulated by the Real Academia (which accepts members and terms from other countries, not just Spain). The French have something similar in the Académie française.
There are no shorthands of that kind in Spanish. I'm sure people over there use it, but just like using "your" when it should be "you're", it is still incorrect.

That may be the case in Spain, but even in my Spanish class at University we learned the Latin American version of the language, which included contractions, etc. (To be fair, we learned them because of the students asking about what they already knew from native Spanish speakers, but it came up, was addressed, and in essence became part of the lesson.)

Your governing body may try to govern the language, but it's failing miserably on this side of the ocean. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 06:59:06 AM
I'm glad you're not getting mad at us for our playful mocking, Meri. :)

That was what I always hated about Horty: no sense of humor about himself.

It's a silly thing, really. I've long thought that about racial constructs, which I still say is completely made up. And if I'd been that seriously concerned about any of this, the last thing I'd have done was come to Languish. :P I was more interested in a world-wide idea of what "race" is, so where else but Languish?

As I said, it's confusing for me, has been confusing for others I've tried to explain this to, and isn't going to get any easier no matter how cut and dried some want to try to make it.

That being said, mis amigas and I are going to make some enchiladas and sopa tonight, drink it with Coronas, and end the night singing with the mariachis. Anyone want come?  ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Caliga

For the record, I think it's great that you are exposing your kids to different cultures like this.  I have a co-worker who is so provincial she won't go out to lunch with us for anything "different", which to her includes Chinese, Mexican, etc. ... all of which are "too spicy".  :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 07:08:20 AM
For the record, I think it's great that you are exposing your kids to different cultures like this.  I have a co-worker who is so provincial she won't go out to lunch with us for anything "different", which to her includes Chinese, Mexican, etc. ... all of which are "too spicy".  :rolleyes:

America hater.

You know what I hate? DORA THE EXPLORER.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Ed Anger

Caliga

How else will they learn how to speak with the domestic help?  :huh:

Admiral Yi

Saturday Night Live did a pretty funny spoof of it, which is how I even know it exists.  Should be on YouTube.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 07:12:44 AM
How else will they learn how to speak with the domestic help?  :huh:

English, because the nanny is white.  :lol:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 07:11:27 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 07:10:22 AM
I know nothing about that cartoon.  :huh:

It teaches kids SPANISH.  :(

It could be worse...they could be watching "Ni Hao, Kai-Lan"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 18, 2009, 07:30:05 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 07:11:27 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 07:10:22 AM
I know nothing about that cartoon.  :huh:

It teaches kids SPANISH.  :(

It could be worse...they could be watching "Ni Hao, Kai-Lan"

Nope. Not allowed in my household mister. Pro-Chinese propaganda? OVER MY DEAD BODY.

Slargos

I, too, enjoy Corona beer.

Could I be: Closet hispanic?  :(

Caliga

Well, on a related note, I think anyone who can actually stand to eat lutefisk should be considered a full-blooded Norwegian. :x

Same goes for that rotten shark shit they eat in Iceland.

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 07:41:52 AM
Well, on a related note, I think anyone who can actually stand to eat lutefisk should be considered a full-blooded Norwegian. :x

Same goes for that rotten shark shit they eat in Iceland.

You are making me racially confused.  :(

I have tried and enjoyed lutefisk, rakfisk, aswell as the Swedish variant surströmming.

Could it be that I am racially Swewegio-Mexican?