And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a person a particular race?

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2009, 08:46:05 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2009, 08:25:27 PM
Most languages have a regulating body. English is almost alone in this. Its role has been filled by "institutions" like the OED.
The OED doesn't regulate, it records :)

When the OED (or other dictionaries - I'm not an expert in the subject) is used by, for example, teaching institutions as a reference, it is in practice regulating.

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2009, 08:59:47 PM
When the OED (or other dictionaries - I'm not an expert in the subject) is used by, for example, teaching institutions as a reference, it is in practice regulating.

So you're talking out of your ass, gotcha. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2009, 08:25:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2009, 08:07:00 PM
Oh and is this an appropriate time to say that I think that what the French (and by extension the Spanish) do is completely inane? :lol:

Most languages have a regulating body. English is almost alone in this. Its role has been filled by "institutions" like the OED.

we don't need a regulating body... English is the "borg" of languages... we assimilate your language and pronounce it however the hell we feel like. Also we randomly change the meaning of words and use outdated slang simply to mess with non-native speakers.

All Your Base are belong to us!
:p

Jaron

So let me get this straight..

Merithyn is "hispanic" because she knows a few words of Spanish and eats beans and tortillas?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2009, 08:59:47 PM
Well I used the OED a lot at university and its main use is as a record of the changes in the English language and the eymology of it.  It's used to refer back to for meaning and spelling but it's in no way like the Academie.  Its role is to study and record the changes taking place in the English language (which is why it adds thousands of words every year) not to regulate it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on August 17, 2009, 09:16:54 PM

Merithyn is "hispanic" because she knows a few words of Spanish and eats beans and tortillas?

You're one to talk, homie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Am I?

I don't really claim or make boastful claims about being of the hispanic race.

Culturally though, I suppose I don't qualify as being very hispanic. My physical appearance though demands I not downplay the part.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on August 17, 2009, 09:22:19 PM
Am I?

Culturally though, I suppose I don't qualify as being very hispanic. My physical appearance though demands I not downplay the part.

I was referring to you claiming to be black at one point in forum history. :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 17, 2009, 09:24:39 PM
Am I?

I was referring to you claiming to be black at one point in forum history. :P

You have me confused with CdM.

derspiess

Am I?

No shit.  Now do the hat dance for us.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2009, 11:39:45 PM
Am I?

:yawn:

Caliga

Quote from: Jaron on August 17, 2009, 09:16:54 PM

:yes:

Princesca got one of those Berlitz CDs and has been learning elementary German while driving around.  Now she can count to ten in German.

LOL German!  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2009, 11:39:45 PM

I can do the hat dance. :)

And the Macarena. ^_^
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

I'm glad you're not getting mad at us for our playful mocking, Meri. :)

That was what I always hated about Horty: no sense of humor about himself.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points