And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a person a particular race?

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

swallow

Looks like you've got your covering letter sorted out and sound like you're ideally suited to what you've chosen to do.  Very best of luck and maybe sometime, we'll see you preparing some of those objective assessments. :thumbsup:
Description?  Partially Mexicanised American

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 15, 2009, 03:17:02 AM
I think it's kinda funny that for all the talk about the melting pot and American dream, so many Americans seem to be obsessed about their ethnic heritage.

I thought the melting pot metaphor had been given up for the mixed salad? After all, it is pretty clear that we didn't just meld into one culture/race. Subcultures abound.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

To have had a real melting pot the temperatures would have had to have been much higher.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on August 15, 2009, 10:14:30 AM
To have had a real melting pot the temperatures would have had to have been much higher.

:yes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

I think some of you don't know what a "subset" is.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

So wait meri is planning on apply to school as white hispanic?

So I guess I should start calling her mrs. Dorsey4heisman.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2009, 11:06:48 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 14, 2009, 09:22:48 PM
sad... this is why America isn't as Great as it used to be.

Well we have never not done this so why were we great before?

sorry forgot the [neil] [/neil] enclosures in that post... was  trolling. :p
:p

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on August 15, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

No shit.  I might as well start claiming hispandex, since I can speak (and read) Spanish, have spent time in Argentina & Mexico, and hang out with many hispanohablantes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2009, 02:17:05 PM
No shit.  I might as well start claiming hispandex, since I can speak (and read) Spanish, have spent time in Argentina & Mexico, and hang out with many hispanohablantes.
Might as well.  You making that claim is no more absurd than Martim Silva's claim that "races" differ on a molecular level!  :lol:

I must admit, I was enjoying this vast display of "knowledge" about "race" far too much to get involved until it looked like it was over.

To answer Meri's question, one's "race" is created by a mixture of what one believes about one's self, and what others believe about one.  It's kinda like "what make a nation a nation?" - it is an identity-construct, which has both internal and external dimensions.  "Race" is important because racism is important.  If we can get rid of racism, we will no longer need the concept of "race" (because, ultimately, all racism is is a belief that "races" exist within the human race).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I'm Hispanic, from Hispania.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

So Meri = wannabeaner?  :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!