Main Menu

What makes a person a particular race?

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 06:59:20 AM
*raises hand* :)

:huh:

You and Princesa both looked white in the photos I've seen.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 06:59:20 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 14, 2009, 06:12:18 AM
It's happening dude. My cousin and my step-sister are both married to black people. Then look at the forum- Hans, Jacob, *derspiess, and Gaijin all have interracial marriages, probably as well a few I'm forgetting or don't know about.
*raises hand* :)

Give me a fucking break.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 14, 2009, 07:19:15 AM:huh:

You and Princesa both looked white in the photos I've seen.
She is Native American.  :alberta:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: dps on August 13, 2009, 10:57:47 PM

Are you being deliberately obtuse?  Yes, it's basically about your appearance.  I've already said that.  For probably at least 98% of the population of the U.S., it's obvious at a glance if a person is black (or partly black) or not.  And the other 2% or so can usually get away with claiming to be black or not as they wish, as long as they don't claim in one place to be black and in another to be white (and even there they can probably get by with it as long as the bureaucrats they'll filling out forms for don't happen to compare notes and care).

:huh:

I'm not being obtuse at all. I simply disagree with you. Brothers of the same parents and one is black and the other is white simply because one looks more black or white than the other? That's simply stupid. My best friend looks Filipino but is half black and half Korean. By your statement, she's Filipino, even though no one in her bloodline is anywhere near that. Garbon looks Southeast Asian but he's half black and half white, and knows nothing about the culture or language, but to you he's Indian despite that?

I have always held that a person is what they self-identify as regardless of what color their skin, hair and eyes were. This eliminates all the muddy waters of family trees being confusing, adoption causing confusion, etc.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on August 14, 2009, 07:25:11 AM
I have always held that a person is what they self-identify as regardless of what color their skin, hair and eyes were. This eliminates all the muddy waters of family trees being confusing, adoption causing confusion, etc.
:yes:

I've just decided to be black, and I WANT ALL Y'ALL'S RESPECK.  :mad:

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on August 14, 2009, 07:25:11 AM
The problem with race is that it's what other people think you are that matters. People can say they're whatever ethnicity they want to be and most people wont bat an eye. People say they're scottish when no one in there family has stepped in scotland in 200 years and no one will second guess them, but if i black guy says he's white it just won't fly. Some people are are left out of "general rule" becasue the fact there parents are different races, but they're an exception. I could self identify as south asian becasue somewhere along the line on of my ancestors were, but if everyone sees me as white then it won't matter what i think.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn

Quote from: stjaba on August 14, 2009, 05:36:10 AM
You're being a tad dishonest, in my opinion. Hispanic is an ill-defined term, no doubt. It is not a racial classification, so a Hispanic can be white, Asian, black, etc. The "official" government definition follows:

QuoteHispanic Origin. Persons of Hispanic origin...are determined on the basis of question that asked for self-identification of the person's origin or descent. Persons of Hispanic origin, in particular, are those who indicated that their origin was Mexican-American, Chicano, Mexican, Mexicano, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Hispanic.

What's clear is that the basis of being Hispanic is one's origin or descent. Since your origin or descent, as far as you know, does not include anyone who is Hispanic claiming that you are Hispanic is kind of silly. Hispanic is basically a cultural/geographic term, but to be Hispanic you have to have been born in a Hispanic country or your blood parents or grandparents have to be Hispanic.

Luckily for you, no one "checks" your Hispanic-ness, so you should be fine, but I just think it would be embarrassing explaining to someone that you claim yourself as Hispanic on the basis of living with a Mexican family for several years and eating burritos.

First, you're mistaken on my background. I was raised by a Mexican family. When someone asks my biological mother questions about my childhood, she defers to my foster mom. My entire childhood, from 3 to 13, was spent in their house as one of their family members. You're being a bit condescending here.

Second, the bolded part is the important part to me. Though my bloodline is white, I self-identify as Hispanic.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

Quote from: merithyn on August 14, 2009, 07:35:04 AM
Quote from: stjaba on August 14, 2009, 05:36:10 AM
You're being a tad dishonest, in my opinion. Hispanic is an ill-defined term, no doubt. It is not a racial classification, so a Hispanic can be white, Asian, black, etc. The "official" government definition follows:

QuoteHispanic Origin. Persons of Hispanic origin...are determined on the basis of question that asked for self-identification of the person's origin or descent. Persons of Hispanic origin, in particular, are those who indicated that their origin was Mexican-American, Chicano, Mexican, Mexicano, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Hispanic.

What's clear is that the basis of being Hispanic is one's origin or descent. Since your origin or descent, as far as you know, does not include anyone who is Hispanic claiming that you are Hispanic is kind of silly. Hispanic is basically a cultural/geographic term, but to be Hispanic you have to have been born in a Hispanic country or your blood parents or grandparents have to be Hispanic.

Luckily for you, no one "checks" your Hispanic-ness, so you should be fine, but I just think it would be embarrassing explaining to someone that you claim yourself as Hispanic on the basis of living with a Mexican family for several years and eating burritos.

First, you're mistaken on my background. I was raised by a Mexican family. When someone asks my biological mother questions about my childhood, she defers to my foster mom. My entire childhood, from 3 to 13, was spent in their house as one of their family members. You're being a bit condescending here.

Second, the bolded part is the important part to me. Though my bloodline is white, I self-identify as Hispanic.

So what do you have going on on you to make yourself identify as Hispanic? Which Hispanic cultural traits do you display?

HVC

Meri, if you were raised by a chinese family would you say you were chinese when asked?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2009, 07:43:43 AM
So what do you have going on on you to make yourself identify as Hispanic? Which Hispanic cultural traits do you display?

Maybe she likes bullfighting!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on August 13, 2009, 10:50:04 PM
She's mistaken. I act more Mexican than I act white when I'm with my Mexican family
How does one "act more Mexican"?  Do you have an overwhelming compulsion to clean toilets or something?  :huh:

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 07:47:03 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 13, 2009, 10:50:04 PM
She's mistaken. I act more Mexican than I act white when I'm with my Mexican family
How does one "act more Mexican"?  Do you have an overwhelming compulsion to clean toilets or something?  :huh:
She refuses to carry any and all badges :contract:

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2009, 07:46:22 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2009, 07:43:43 AM

Maybe she likes bullfighting!

I don't like bullfighting, does that make me less Hispanic?

Then again, what would I be in the States? White? Hispanic?

PDH

Interesting anectdote - At a conference, a fellow I know from Africa was trying to point out someone he knew who was studying rituals (as I was at the time), and we had the hardest time coming to a mutual understanding of just who he was talking about.  His "obvious markers" to identify this person included hair, face, and height - mine included skin, dress, and hair color.  The "naturalness" of such things as race are not natural at all, they are learned like so many other things.

What makes a person a certain race? Well, being a member of H. apiens sapiens usually does the trick.  Culture? Now that is another thing...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2009, 07:48:19 AM
I don't like bullfighting, does that make me less Hispanic?

Then again, what would I be in the States? White? Hispanic?
I think you would be thought of as 'white'.  I think most people think of Hispanics as hailing from our various neighbors to the south, Haiti and Jamaica excluded.  There are a couple of countries that would constitute gray areas, like Brazil and possibily the Philippines.