News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ze burkini is a problem with Ze France

Started by viper37, August 13, 2009, 02:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Ideologue on August 14, 2009, 06:34:55 AM
Also, for what it's worth, I could see benefit in gender segregated swimming, particularly for women who are either embarassed by their looks or annoyed by people like me ogling them.

Not everything has to be Goddamned political.

This is what I was kind of thinking, too. So long as it's a choice and not the only option, I really don't see a problem with women-only times and men-only times.

A friend of mine once got into a discussion with a group of us about how the bikini is actually more oppressive to women than the burka. I never really heard her full argument on it, but it had something to do with making women nothing more than a sex object is more demeaning and oppressive (as a bikini does) than making them nothing but lumps of fabric.

I've heard the argument before and disagree with it, as it's completely by choice that women wear bikinis whereas burkas are usually enforced by either religion, family, or law. Some could say that for Islamic women, it's a cultural pressure that enforces the burka, and for the women in bikinis it's the same thing. Given that I haven't worn a bikini since I was 13 and never felt pressured to do so, I think that last bit is total bunk.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 13, 2009, 11:37:36 PM
:rolleyes:

Yeah?  What good could possibly come from encouraging the emergence of dead/dying regional languages?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 14, 2009, 07:16:09 AM
A friend of mine once got into a discussion with a group of us about how the bikini is actually more oppressive to women than the burka. I never really heard her full argument on it, but it had something to do with making women nothing more than a sex object is more demeaning and oppressive (as a bikini does) than making them nothing but lumps of fabric.

What a bunch of unbelievable bullshit.  Yes the woman body is evil and men looking at it is doubly evil.  Women should be locked away and covered for their own freedom and protection.  Everytime I lust in my heart I shall ritually scourge myself.

I hear arguements like that from religious fanatics all the damn time.  Please let me know how people being sexually attracted to me makes me a sex object?  I never understood that ridiculous arguement.  Being a sex object does not mean you go to swim and some people think you are hot.  I mean does every concept have to watered down to ridiculous levels?

QuoteI've heard the argument before and disagree with it, as it's completely by choice that women wear bikinis whereas burkas are usually enforced by either religion, family, or law. Some could say that for Islamic women, it's a cultural pressure that enforces the burka, and for the women in bikinis it's the same thing. Given that I haven't worn a bikini since I was 13 and never felt pressured to do so, I think that last bit is total bunk.

Thank you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grallon

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2009, 11:02:16 PM

Wow that is horrible.  A staple of Western civilization for centuries has been the fact the genders hang out together, I know that is completely anathema to the Middle Eastern cultures and all but...

well that is why I really dislike religions that put ancient cultural values and claim they are eternal moral standards.  That is bullshit and total coocoo nonsense.

That's multiculturalism in action.  Where weastern values are watered down to cater to 3rd World savages.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2009, 06:13:34 AM
You should come to Spain, you'd have a blast.  :lol:

Yeah and I notice how open minded and peaceful encouraging all that regional bullshit makes the people of Spain.

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on August 14, 2009, 06:34:55 AM
Also, for what it's worth, I could see benefit in gender segregated swimming, particularly for women who are either embarassed by their looks or annoyed by people like me ogling them.

Sure that is what private pools are for.  Anyway maybe these women should grow up, be adults, and get over it?  I don't really  like the idea my ability to swim at a public pool has to be restricted to accomadate insecure people or some sort of foreign cultural value.

Caliga

I'm not sure I understand why a woman wouldn't want her tits to be admired.  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2009, 07:36:09 AM

Yeah and I notice how open minded and peaceful encouraging all that regional bullshit makes the people of Spain.

Regional bullshit is quite important over here, thankyouverymuch. Repressing/Denying it would be futile and counter intuitive.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2009, 07:41:59 AM
Sure that is what private pools are for.  Anyway maybe these women should grow up, be adults, and get over it?  I don't really  like the idea my ability to swim at a public pool has to be restricted to accomadate insecure people or some sort of foreign cultural value.

Many pools will be closed to the public at times when they're offering classes, this isn't much different. Ultimately, it's a business decision.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2009, 07:45:15 AM

Regional bullshit is quite important over here, thankyouverymuch. Repressing/Denying it would be futile and counter intuitive.
Besides some crazy Basque trying to blow stuff up the rest of you guys seem to get along well enough :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

I know but I cannot say I think it is such a great thing that it should be introduced other places.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 14, 2009, 07:48:04 AM
Many pools will be closed to the public at times when they're offering classes, this isn't much different. Ultimately, it's a business decision.

And I am free to take those classes.  Besides we don't pay for public pools since that is what we pay taxes for.

Also most of the classes happen when the pools are already closed to the public or take up only part of the pool.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on August 14, 2009, 07:48:55 AM

Besides some crazy Basque trying to blow stuff up the rest of you guys seem to get along well enough :lol:

At least it provides for a hefty amount of arguments on internet boards.  :lol:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 07:44:17 AM
I'm not sure I understand why a woman wouldn't want her tits to be admired.  :huh:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2009, 07:56:31 AM
Besides we don't pay for public pools since that is what we pay taxes for.

Does the government actually pay for pools? I don't know of any free pools around here.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?