News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What Podcasts do you listen to, redux.

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2009, 10:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2015, 02:08:01 AM
This podcast hatred is bizarre. Podcast is just a medium of delivery. Hating podcasts is like hating, say, VoD.

Or books.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

This podcast hatred is bizarre. Podcast is just a medium of delivery. Hating podcasts is like hating, say, VoD.

Yep.  It's like a bunch of olds whining about kids watching TV instead of listening to the radio.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on January 08, 2015, 01:49:45 PM

Yep.  It's like a bunch of olds whining about kids watching TV instead of listening to the radio.

It is odd, especially as for someone like me, it is as Marty says a means of delivery and 99%% of what the podcast programme downloads are just mainstream network radio programmes in the first place.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

So listen to it live, or not at all?

And you fucktards give my analog ass shit.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Fuck you, you filthy fuck.  Hope your gamma detector gets stuck.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Revolutions, Hardcore History, and Freakonomics are my current favorites.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Kleves

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2014, 10:39:22 AM
Has anyone been listening to Serial (currently sponsored by This American Life)? I finally listened to it on the plane (listened to 9 eps) after being recommended it several times. Pretty interesting cold case stuff about murder in '99 in suburban Baltimore*. Apparently last episode of this season's story came out today.
I just finished it. I liked it, but I never felt that she really engaged with the evidence as a whole. There are certainly issues with individual pieces, but she never really examined how unlikely it was that everything would have played out the way it did if Adnan wasn't involved.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: Kleves on January 08, 2015, 03:31:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2014, 10:39:22 AM
Has anyone been listening to Serial (currently sponsored by This American Life)? I finally listened to it on the plane (listened to 9 eps) after being recommended it several times. Pretty interesting cold case stuff about murder in '99 in suburban Baltimore*. Apparently last episode of this season's story came out today.
I just finished it. I liked it, but I never felt that she really engaged with the evidence as a whole. There are certainly issues with individual pieces, but she never really examined how unlikely it was that everything would have played out the way it did if Adnan wasn't involved.

[spoiler]I don't know. In that last one, where they talked a lot of hypotheticals, I think they made a strong case that he would have to have been a stupendously unlucky dude to have not been involved but had it all go down like that.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Bar one (which I listen to when I play WoW), I listen to all my podcasts while falling asleep. It has an advantage over live radio that I know what to expect (so I won't get awoken by loud music for example) and it's interesting enough to keep me listening, but boring enough to make it easier for me to fall asleep. I can also listen to it on my iPhone and (unlike watching tv in my bedroom) it does not emit light (which causes insomnia).

Kleves

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2015, 04:28:53 PM
[spoiler]I don't know. In that last one, where they talked a lot of hypotheticals, I think they made a strong case that he would have to have been a stupendously unlucky dude to have not been involved but had it all go down like that.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]She did do a bit of that, but I didn't feel she really tied it all together. If you look at everything - loaning the phone and the car, the phone calls to people only Adnan knew, the cell evidence that shows that Jay and Adnan were together in Leaken Park that night, asking Hae for a ride on the day of the murder and Jay saying that was his plan for the murder, while Adnan changes the story he gave to police, etc. it seems pretty clear that he was involved in the murder. But the host concludes that, had she been on the jury, she would have acquitted him, and that who knows, maybe it was a serial killer. I just felt that she couldn't/didn't want to conclude he was guilty, and the evidence was always considered in that light.[/spolier]
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: Kleves on January 08, 2015, 08:56:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2015, 04:28:53 PM
[spoiler]She did do a bit of that, but I didn't feel she really tied it all together. If you look at everything - loaning the phone and the car, the phone calls to people only Adnan knew, the cell evidence that shows that Jay and Adnan were together in Leaken Park that night, asking Hae for a ride on the day of the murder and Jay saying that was his plan for the murder, while Adnan changes the story he gave to police, etc. it seems pretty clear that he was involved in the murder. But the host concludes that, had she been on the jury, she would have acquitted him, and that who knows, maybe it was a serial killer. I just felt that she couldn't/didn't want to conclude he was guilty, and the evidence was always considered in that light.[/spolier]

[spoiler]That's probably a fair analysis though from all the evidence she presented, I think I may have had to do the same as a jury member. I felt like I had more questions than anything by the end of the podcast.

On a side note, I don't understand at all how that defense attorney could have ever been a good one. On those recordings, she was so grating that if she really sounded like that in person, as a jury member I would have just ignored everything she said. -_-[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 02:55:01 PM
So listen to it live, or not at all?

And you fucktards give my analog ass shit.

Not everyone's schedule is as uncluttered as yours.

Are you this opposed to DVRs, or in your case Betamax?