News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What Podcasts do you listen to, redux.

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2009, 10:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I also frown on podcasting. I remember hearing so much about it and then when I actually found out what it was...LAME!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2009, 01:28:08 PM
I also frown on podcasting. I remember hearing so much about it and then when I actually found out what it was...LAME!

It can range from some lame person blabbing about whatever to basically being a radio show about a topic.  I have found some pretty good ones over the years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2009, 01:22:42 PM
The History of Rome: http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/
Truly awesome, I've been following this since the Social War. 
Audio
The Economist
The Onion Radio News
Onion AV Club Talk
This Week with George Stephanopolis
Video
Fareed Zakaria GPS
Onion News Video

Also some random stuff from iTunes U, including
A shitload of uploads of lectures from Stanford on classical history, currently 1/3rd of the way through a great podcast on Hannibal.  Stanford is great on iTunes
Some interesting stuff from UCLA's Center for Middle Eastern Studies (or something), some very interesting lectures on (surprisinginly) Mid-Eastern history.
Random Russian conversations by Oxford, for practice
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

viper37

Radio-Pirate, mostly.
Otherwise, I'm not particularly fond of hearing things.  I prefer reading.  Hence, I waste time on forums like this one.  Once I've listened to radio for 3.5hrs in a day, I've had my quota filled.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Just listened to this rather good 'desert island discs' interview with Robert Hardy, he of portraying Churchill and all things Longbows:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/e7d6124c

Lovely anecdotes about being friends with Richard Burton, being taught by Tolkien and CS Lewis at Oxford and causing a stir in Judy Dench's hoes.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

So yes, I'm reviving an old thread, sue me.

Has anyone been listening to Serial (currently sponsored by This American Life)? I finally listened to it on the plane (listened to 9 eps) after being recommended it several times. Pretty interesting cold case stuff about murder in '99 in suburban Baltimore*. Apparently last episode of this season's story came out today.

*I like how they have referenced Owings Mills Mall a few times as I'm like I've been there! Though I trust it was a much more vibrant place back in '99. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

These days it's Feast of Fun, Red Bar Radio and News Quiz/Now Show (BBC4)

Liep

The Bugle.

Easily the funniest thing I've ever heard. John Oliver is a genius satirist and coupled with the word smith Andy Zaltsman it's just pure awesome.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2014, 10:39:22 AM
So yes, I'm reviving an old thread, sue me.

Has anyone been listening to Serial (currently sponsored by This American Life)? I finally listened to it on the plane (listened to 9 eps) after being recommended it several times. Pretty interesting cold case stuff about murder in '99 in suburban Baltimore*. Apparently last episode of this season's story came out today.

Yeah, I hear it's all the rage.  I remember that murder case. 

Quote*I like how they have referenced Owings Mills Mall a few times as I'm like I've been there! Though I trust it was a much more vibrant place back in '99. -_-

:lol:  It was pretty much on its last legs then.  Now in 1988, different story.

Valmy

The Greatest Podcast of all Time is, naturally, is Mike Duncan's Revolutions Podcast episode 3.1 onwards.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2014, 01:58:52 PM
The Greatest Podcast of all Time is, naturally, is Mike Duncan's Revolutions Podcast episode 3.1 onwards.

I was wondering if you were listening to that.  What do you think of it?  I am enjoying it, but I knew next to nothing about the French Revolution before hand, and was curious what people who knew more thought.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on December 18, 2014, 02:11:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2014, 01:58:52 PM

I was wondering if you were listening to that.  What do you think of it?  I am enjoying it, but I knew next to nothing about the French Revolution before hand, and was curious what people who knew more thought.

It is great.  I know each story very well so I eagerly wait until he gets to it and he does not disappoint.  I wish there was a little bit more about the areas outside of Paris, and the Protestants and so forth but nothing is perfect.  Just classic Duncan.