Hitchens: Clinton should have let Ling and Lee rot in N. Korea

Started by jimmy olsen, August 12, 2009, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2009, 09:42:02 AMBut then I realized that most of them were completely serious, and took great pride in the fact that Rush does their thinking for them.
IOW what you're saying is that Rush is a religious figure?  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2009, 09:42:02 AM
I remember thinking that people self-identifying as "dittoheads" had to some kind of clever joke, a little self mocking or something.

But then I realized that most of them were completely serious, and took great pride in the fact that Rush does their thinking for them.

Do you know what "dittohead" means?  A dittohead is someone who enjoys the show-- not necessarily someone who agrees with every word spoken by Limbaugh.

In the early days of his show, Rush started asking callers who said "I like the show, etc." to instead just say "ditto" since it was getting repetitive & wasting airtime for everyone to go on & on about how much the liked the show. 

Limbaugh does explain the meaning of the term periodically on his show.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2009, 12:22:19 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2009, 09:42:02 AM
I remember thinking that people self-identifying as "dittoheads" had to some kind of clever joke, a little self mocking or something.

But then I realized that most of them were completely serious, and took great pride in the fact that Rush does their thinking for them.

Do you know what "dittohead" means?  A dittohead is someone who enjoys the show-- not necessarily someone who agrees with every word spoken by Limbaugh.

In the early days of his show, Rush started asking callers who said "I like the show, etc." to instead just say "ditto" since it was getting repetitive & wasting airtime for everyone to go on & on about how much the liked the show. 

Limbaugh does explain the meaning of the term periodically on his show.

Yes, and I also know how it is used regularly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2009, 12:36:44 PM
Yes, and I also know how it is used regularly.

It's used both ways, yes.  But don't always assume it means what you want it to mean.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Why would I want it to mean anything?

Why are you assuming I want it to mean something when telling me not to make assumptions?

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2009, 12:48:34 PM

Because casting them all as marginalized far right loonies who can't think for themselves fits into your worldview.

QuoteWhy are you assuming I want it to mean something when telling me not to make assumptions?

I know how you think :contract:

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2009, 02:29:47 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2009, 12:48:34 PM

Because casting them all as marginalized far right loonies who can't think for themselves fits into your worldview.

That must be why I said "most" then. Because I want to cast them "all".

And yeah, most people who call in to Rush to breathlessly agree with him are in fact far right loonies who choose not to think for themselves.

0 rows returned