News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ecology of the Classical World?

Started by Queequeg, August 12, 2009, 10:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 13, 2009, 01:42:22 PM
Is Israel's agriculture sustainable, though?  Aren't Israelis depleting their fresh water sources at an alarming rate?

I think that has to do with a combination of drought and over-population.

In any case now Israel will have to get on the de-salinization project.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Is Israel's agriculture sustainable, though?  Aren't Israelis depleting their fresh water sources at an alarming rate?
It was at one point the land of milk and honey. And I doubt that was just in comparison to Sinai; it was host to some remarkably complex, flourishing literate societies. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

Quote from: Malthus on August 13, 2009, 08:17:11 AM
I rather suspect that the relative appearance of fertility has to do with land management practices at the time.

Take for example what is now Israel. Travellers of the 19th century universally describe "Palestine" as, basically, a goat-infested wilderness of desolation. It was considered the worst possible posting if you were a Turkish bureaucrat. The climate certainly hasn't changed in 100 years, but Isreal is now a major agricultural centre in the region.

Could well be, yes. Indeed, many of the explainations as to why the mid-east isn't as fertile as it was have to do with unsustainable agricultural practices, particularly salinization of the soil. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on August 13, 2009, 08:17:11 AM
I rather suspect that the relative appearance of fertility has to do with land management practices at the time.

Take for example what is now Israel. Travellers of the 19th century universally describe "Palestine" as, basically, a goat-infested wilderness of desolation. It was considered the worst possible posting if you were a Turkish bureaucrat. The climate certainly hasn't changed in 100 years, but Isreal is now a major agricultural centre in the region.
IIRC giant sinkholes are forming around the dead sea becasue the water table has fallen so low since so much water is getting diverted for agriculture.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

saskganesh

covercropping. mulching and planting more perennials usually helps retain soil and retain soil moisture, lowering the need for water diversion projects.

what they have to do now is build soil. compost (goat manure!) would help.
humans were created in their own image

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on August 13, 2009, 01:53:26 PM

Could well be, yes. Indeed, many of the explainations as to why the mid-east isn't as fertile as it was have to do with unsustainable agricultural practices, particularly salinization of the soil.

I read some time back that stated the best guess of crop yields in ancient Iraq were approximately equal those of today using modern agricultural methods. The main reason given for the lack of improvement was that the irrigation salinated the soil. This is the reason wheat gave way to an extent to barley as time went on--barley was more resistent to the growing salination.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014