Hitchens: Clinton should have let Ling and Lee rot in N. Korea

Started by jimmy olsen, August 12, 2009, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2009, 04:58:31 PM
From that same article:

:o

QuotePolling released earlier today shows that 15% of voters believe Clinton is Very Likely to become the first woman president of the United States. Another 23% say she is Somewhat Likely to achieve that honor.

:yeah:

Yeah, and the list of wimmenz with any shot of becoming president is sooooo huge.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2009, 03:28:34 PM
A shocking poll!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/12/clinton-popular-hillary-poll-shows/

QuoteBill Clinton More Popular Than Hillary, Poll Shows
A Rasmussen Reports poll released Wednesday showed 58 percent of those surveyed view the former president favorably, while 53 percent feel the same about Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Actually, I'm shocked that so many view Hillary favorably.
I still can't figure out how in the world did she go from being a left-wing extremist to a conservative alternative to Obama in the eyes of the public. 

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2009, 09:56:39 PM
I still can't figure out how in the world did she go from being a left-wing extremist to a conservative alternative to Obama in the eyes of the public. 

Maybe 'cuz Obama is just that far out on the left?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2009, 10:23:28 PM

Maybe 'cuz Obama is just that far out on the left?
Only the caricature of him.  Then again, maybe he was just next in line to be overblown as the mortal threat to apple pie.

grumbler

Probably because that "left-wing extremist" tag was so obviously phony that few bought into it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Quote from: grumbler on August 12, 2009, 10:58:51 PM
Probably because that "left-wing extremist" tag was so obviously phony that few bought into it.

few = Berkut, derspiess, Tim
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Viking

Let us not forget that we have the hikers in Iran as well, which seem to have been slightly more geographically challenged while faced with a slightly less brutal and manipulative regime with less prevalent body guards. Though since they are not Royal Navy personnel they might get released just because holding them is so ridiculous that even the Iranians know that gap year hikers are no CIA hacks.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Scipio

Quote from: AnchorClanker on August 12, 2009, 03:03:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2009, 02:52:02 PM
Ank & Hitchens speak da troof. 

Did Clinton know he was being played?  Or did he care, as long as he got to get on the news?

Clearly, both the US and the DPRK sought to benefit from an arrangement.  We got them back, and DPRK can pretend to be magnanimous.  Both sides win.  That was the gameplan, and the sole reason it happened.
Typical commie thinking from Obama and Clinton.  Why the fuck are we doing bedhead favors?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on August 12, 2009, 10:58:51 PMProbably because that "left-wing extremist" tag was so obviously phony that few bought into it.
Does anyone really think that?  I mean, I know folks like Rush Limbaugh *say* it, but he's an act.  I don't think he believes half of the stuff that he actually says.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on August 13, 2009, 09:18:46 AM
Quote from: grumbler on August 12, 2009, 10:58:51 PMProbably because that "left-wing extremist" tag was so obviously phony that few bought into it.
Does anyone really think that?  I mean, I know folks like Rush Limbaugh *say* it, but he's an act.  I don't think he believes half of the stuff that he actually says.
I think you're vastly underestimating the power of echo chambers to self-reinforce the stupidity and irrationality of its members.

Berkut

Quote from: Jaron on August 12, 2009, 11:03:59 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 12, 2009, 10:58:51 PM

few = Berkut, derspiess, Tim

I bet you can find just loads of posts from me where I call Hillary a "left-wing extremist".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Although I have not listened to Rush Limbaugh in years, I used to do so all the time because my dad is a devoted fan and always had Rush on in the car. :bleeding:

My impression always was that Rush is more of a showman than an actual political fanatic.  Sometimes he seemed to almost be mocking the right in some of the things that he said.  I mean, he was always mocking the left, too, but he was just so over-the-top....

I guess my impression is that he's more of a comedian than an actual commentator, and probably deliberately sought out the right fringe as his niche, maybe because there wasn't much competition there.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on August 13, 2009, 09:32:29 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 13, 2009, 09:18:46 AM
I think you're vastly underestimating the power of echo chambers to self-reinforce the stupidity and irrationality of its members.

Indeed. Which is why uncritical partisanship is so dangerous.

0 rows returned

Valmy

I used to listen to Rush during the late 80s and man he was hilarious.  Eventually his schtick just got old so I stopped listening but people have a tolerance for the same stuff day after day year after year...

Languish posters for example.  :Embarrass:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on August 13, 2009, 09:39:55 AM
Although I have not listened to Rush Limbaugh in years, I used to do so all the time because my dad is a devoted fan and always had Rush on in the car. :bleeding:

My impression always was that Rush is more of a showman than an actual political fanatic.  Sometimes he seemed to almost be mocking the right in some of the things that he said.  I mean, he was always mocking the left, too, but he was just so over-the-top....

I guess my impression is that he's more of a comedian than an actual commentator, and probably deliberately sought out the right fringe as his niche, maybe because there wasn't much competition there.

I remember thinking that people self-identifying as "dittoheads" had to some kind of clever joke, a little self mocking or something.

But then I realized that most of them were completely serious, and took great pride in the fact that Rush does their thinking for them.

0 rows returned