Almost exclusively fiction.
4 (6.6%)
I don't read much.
4 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on March 23, 2009, 05:12:37 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2009, 04:19:06 PM

Well, I do not hide the fact that among the "themes of relevance to me", any instance of an upper class Briton describing in a flowery, rich language the process of sucking cock ranks rather high.  :D

Tell me, do you feel at a disadvantage for not being one of those british upper class type ? 

G.
Well of course. I'm upper class by Polish standards, but if there is one thing about my birth I truly regret and would like to change, it is not being born British. I have had this Anglophile thing going long before I even realised I'm gay.

All my favourite authors are British (whether gay or not). This is one of the reasons I never really got into, say, popular Latino or Spanish writers such as Marquez - they just have a different sensibility from the dry, British wit I singularly adore.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2009, 05:07:46 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2009, 04:19:46 PM

Yeah, it's funny as balls - Dick thought Lem was a commie plot. :D

Oddly (or maybe not) sounds like it could be the plot to a Dick novel.  ;)

I love the stated reason:

QuoteLem is probably a composite committee rather than an individual, since he writes in several styles and sometimes reads foreign, to him, languages and sometimes does not -

Please, don't give this man If On A Winter's Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino. His head might explode.  ???
It's actually funny because Lem was as far from being a communist Party aparatchik as one could be. He was a free thinking wonderful person. A Jewish Holocaust survivor, an atheist, he was a deeply involved humanist (he was a medical doctor by education). Along with Mrozek and Gombrowicz, he is my favourite 20th century Polish author and thinker. He (along with Leszek Kolakowski - who is quoted in Joan's signature; and some other thinkers) recorded this great TV series "Interviews at the end of the century" in the late 1990s, which is a real treat. I am not sure if it is available in non-Polish language version, but it was a real treat.

Wasn't Dick a mormon, though? He does sound like a lunatic.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

If you remove stuff I read for University then mostly fiction.  A lot of Russian, Turkish, and American literature.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2009, 05:29:29 PM
Anyone with any understanding of literature would understand that creative genius and batshit insanity are not mutually exclusive, if anything they come together.

I think Dick mentally declined over his last few years though, IIRC. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

I never said his books suck (although I haven't read them so can't pass any judgement), just that he was batshit crazy. While you are right that this is not uncommon in great writers, many of them (like Lem, for example) escaped that insanity.

fhdz

I don't believe he was a Mormon, no.  He was, quite unfortunately, rather a textbook case of paranoia and delusional states in his later years.
and the horse you rode in on

Habbaku

I read a pretty fair mixture of fiction and non-fiction.  Admittedly, the fiction I do read often tends to have historical background, as of late.  I have read a plethora of the Flashman series and am just starting on the Captain Aubrey series.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on March 23, 2009, 05:52:40 PM
I read a pretty fair mixture of fiction and non-fiction.  Admittedly, the fiction I do read often tends to have historical background, as of late.  I have read a plethora of the Flashman series and am just starting on the Captain Aubrey series.

Watch it - I think Aubrey / Maturin sucked up an entire year of reading for me...

(and of course I've just finished book two of Flashman)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2009, 05:35:38 PM
Anyone with any understanding of literature would understand that creative genius and batshit insanity are not mutually exclusive, if anything they come together.

Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.

(There has not been any great genius without an element of madness.)

-Seneca

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

charliebear

I read mostly non-fiction, although I did enjoy a Nora Roberts book recently.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2009, 06:46:57 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 23, 2009, 05:52:40 PM

Watch it - I think Aubrey / Maturin sucked up an entire year of reading for me...

(and of course I've just finished book two of Flashman)

Ah, Flashman. What a treat.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

It's actually funny because Lem was as far from being a communist Party aparatchik as one could be. He was a free thinking wonderful person. A Jewish Holocaust survivor, an atheist, he was a deeply involved humanist (he was a medical doctor by education). Along with Mrozek and Gombrowicz, he is my favourite 20th century Polish author and thinker. He (along with Leszek Kolakowski - who is quoted in Joan's signature; and some other thinkers) recorded this great TV series "Interviews at the end of the century" in the late 1990s, which is a real treat. I am not sure if it is available in non-Polish language version, but it was a real treat.

Heh, I know Lem makes an unlikely Communist provocateur; more to the point, he's a person, not a committee.  :lol:

Sadly, I think Dick's delusional paranoia went beyond the amusing and into the relm of the clinical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_k_dick#Mental_health

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2009, 02:52:35 PM

Heh, I know Lem makes an unlikely Communist provocateur; more to the point, he's a person, not a committee.  :lol:

Sadly, I think Dick's delusional paranoia went beyond the amusing and into the relm of the clinical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_k_dick#Mental_health
That's very interesting. I am always anxious about people like that - I mean, there is a difference between a debilitating, raving mad lunacy and people who experience such strange visions and are convinced of knowing some hidden truths - who says they aren't right in some way.

Personally, I treat them in a same way I treat religious people (of the non-tedious type, at least) - with fascination, amusement and a tinge of envy for having experienced stuff I have never had.

AnchorClanker

Mostly non-fiction (history, philosophy/theology and political matters), and maybe 20% fiction, the bulk of which are play scripts and "the Classics(tm)".

On rare occasions, I read some fiction written after WWII, but that's few and far between.
I just can't seem to get excited about modern fiction and devoting time to it, when there's so many books
that I *should* have read, but didn't.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr