Mostly fiction, but also non-fiction.
16 (26.2%)
Almost exclusively fiction.
4 (6.6%)
I don't read much.
4 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

fhdz

Fiction, mostly.  I do throw in some non-fiction as well, but typically the selection process for those is driven by my fiction reading too.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

About equal shares, although I haven't bought a new fiction book in a little bit. Been reading new non-fiction and re-reading fiction.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Mostly classic fiction and history books. Every now and then I'll read a science book or some modern fiction, but the first two are over 90% of my reading.

Sheilbh

Mostly fiction.  In large part because I'm studying English....
Let's bomb Russia!

BuddhaRhubarb

Mostly fiction. I read a lot of Canadian authors, US, Brit.
:p

The Brain

Almost exclusively non-fiction.

I don't avoid fiction. But I deny it my essence.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

Almost exclusively non-fiction. Occasionally I'll pick up a novel that may catch my eye or I find interesting and it's highly recommended.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

I switch between the two.  I usually have a couple books on the go although right now they are both non-fiction.

dps

Non-fiction mostly.  Used to be much more of an even mix, but I've gradually read proportionally less and less fiction over the last 20 years or so--not sure why exactly.

Martinus

I must say I am a bit apprehensive about reading non-fiction because (probably due to some obsessive side of my personality) I keep trying to remember what I am reading in the same way one would be when reading a textbook before an exam - I am just weird like that - which means I end up being unable to enjoy it. When reading fiction I instead treat it as an escapist leisure and it is much more fun that way.

Now having said that, I am reading one non-fiction book at the moment too.

Malthus

Hey Marti, I love the Stanislaw Lem quote.  :D Where did you see it?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Camper

Siege

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2009, 03:18:48 AM
The book threads always struck me as very history book heavy. So I wondered, what do Languishites read, and if the thread was representative? Me, I think I read non-fiction and fiction in about equal shares.

I read a lot of job-related military stuff. I wish I had more time for history. I'm trying to get a book about warfare in northern Italy during the renaissance. Very interesting period.

And there is always a sci-fi volume somewhere around my desk. I am adicted to the damn thing.

Reading right now: Stalk and Kill, by Adrian Gilbert. A very well researched volume about sniper tactics through out history. Amazing that there were already snipers with scoped rifle during the ACW.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

Mostly history, science fiction and fantasy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Siege on March 23, 2009, 02:31:01 PM
I read a lot of job-related military stuff. I wish I had more time for history. I'm trying to get a book about warfare in northern Italy during the renaissance. Very interesting period.

And there is always a sci-fi volume somewhere around my desk. I am adicted to the damn thing.

Reading right now: Stalk and Kill, by Adrian Gilbert. A very well researched volume about sniper tactics through out history. Amazing that there were already snipers with scoped rifle during the ACW.

Don't worry, we know you don't know how to read. :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.