Hitchens: Clinton should have let Ling and Lee rot in N. Korea

Started by jimmy olsen, August 12, 2009, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2009, 02:52:02 PM
Did Clinton know he was being played?  Or did he care, as long as he got to get on the news?

Perhaps we all just appreciate a good spectacle. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I keep telling you people that Clinton just wanted this story to have a happy ending... as well as get a happy ending himself :perv:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

AnchorClanker

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2009, 02:51:19 PM
Did any nations suddenly go: Wow, look how great N. Korea is? after this moment? :unsure:

It was for internal consumption, not external consumption.  Nobody thinks the DPRK is a great place with enlightened leadership.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

AnchorClanker

Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2009, 02:52:02 PM
Ank & Hitchens speak da troof. 

Did Clinton know he was being played?  Or did he care, as long as he got to get on the news?

Clearly, both the US and the DPRK sought to benefit from an arrangement.  We got them back, and DPRK can pretend to be magnanimous.  Both sides win.  That was the gameplan, and the sole reason it happened.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: AnchorClanker on August 12, 2009, 03:01:15 PM
Did any nations suddenly go: Wow, look how great N. Korea is? after this moment? :unsure:

It was for internal consumption, not external consumption.  Nobody thinks the DPRK is a great place with enlightened leadership.
The Boss man probably thinks of himself as a new style enlightened monarch. 
PDH!

AnchorClanker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 12, 2009, 02:53:53 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on August 12, 2009, 02:49:03 PM
PS - Timmy, by your thread title, I can tell that you completely misread and/or misunderstood Hitchens' argument.

More than once, he said that the ladies would be released.  It's not some Clinton miracle that released them from a regime that was intent upon incarcerating them for the full term.  DPRK intended to milk this for internal consumption, and Clinton willingly obliged.  That is not the same as "letting them rot."
Au contraire, I simply choose the most sensationalist headline I could think of.
:lol:  I forgot that option.  My apologies, Tim.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 12, 2009, 03:03:42 PM

The Boss man probably thinks of himself as a new style enlightened monarch.

Possibly, but I doubt it.  I don't think he's deluded, but he's certainly cynical and cunning.

garbon

Did they really need global help for an act for internal consumption? I'm sure there are plenty of "generous" gestures Dear Leader can make internally...and they'd look better as they wouldn't involve any submission (or like concept) to outside influences.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 12, 2009, 02:58:39 PM
I keep telling you people that Clinton just wanted this story to have a happy ending... as well as get a happy ending himself :perv:

I'm glad that Hillary got all bitchy when asked about Bill's opinion, recently. :)

AnchorClanker

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2009, 03:08:56 PM

Did they really need global help for an act for internal consumption? I'm sure there are plenty of "generous" gestures Dear Leader can make internally...and they'd look better as they wouldn't involve any submission (or like concept) to outside influences.

It way cooler to release evil Imperialist tools posing as journalists, especially when they admit to illegally crossing the border.  There was NO act of submission, it was portrayed as an act of mercy.

DisturbedPervert

Burma.  After they get the bomb maybe Bill will come too.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2009, 03:09:39 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 12, 2009, 02:58:39 PM

I'm glad that Hillary got all bitchy when asked about Bill's opinion, recently. :)

That was pretty amusing.  The Independent (my fav UK paper) had three great shots of it.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2009, 03:09:39 PMI'm glad that Hillary got all bitchy when asked about Bill's opinion, recently. :)
I don't understand why they keep the charade up at this point, quite frankly.  It's not like Bill actually helped her win the Presidency.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: AnchorClanker on August 12, 2009, 03:11:41 PM
It way cooler to release evil Imperialist tools posing as journalists, especially when they admit to illegally crossing the border.  There was NO act of submission, it was portrayed as an act of mercy.

But one could have acts of mercy without involving external actors. I think monarchies of Europe used to do it all the time.

garbon

Quote from: AnchorClanker on August 12, 2009, 03:12:44 PM
That was pretty amusing.  The Independent (my fav UK paper) had three great shots of it.

I loved it as I was like "My girl reminds me why I love her." :wub: