Canadian Woman Allowed To Return Thanks To DNA Test

Started by Josephus, August 12, 2009, 10:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on August 12, 2009, 05:58:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2009, 05:56:37 PM

In order to keep scum from getting into the country, sacrifices have to be made.

Besides, if somebody dyes their hair, they deserve to spend a few months in a Third World jail.
Wait 10 years, darling. When you're more gray than brown, you'll consider going under the bottle yourself :)
I rather think not.  Remember that, as a male, gray is a sign of experience and distinction.  As such, harshly judging those who dye their hair remains my eternal perogative.  Especially those who dye their hair with kool-aid, like garbon.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2009, 06:05:09 PM
I rather think not.  Remember that, as a male, gray is a sign of experience and distinction.  As such, harshly judging those who dye their hair remains my eternal perogative.  Especially those who dye their hair with kool-aid, like garbon.

I can't tell you how much is sucks that you are right.  :cry:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on August 12, 2009, 05:56:07 PM
And she turned to her government for assistance, they passively agreed with the Kenyan authorities, and told them to book her. She then ended up in prison in Kenya. She wasn't assisted by the Canadian government at all until her family, friends and LAWYER intervened.

Is that not what happened? Did I misread that part?
Are you referring to "they turned over her passport for prosecution?" 

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on August 12, 2009, 06:13:40 PM

I can't tell you how much is sucks that you are right.  :cry:
My wife agrees with you.  Every gray hair I get now is a catastrophe, because it reminds her that we're getting older.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Especially those who dye their hair with kool-aid

I don't think I'd ever do that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 05:31:11 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 12, 2009, 05:09:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 01:37:46 PM
Put yourself in the place of the DFAIT civil servant though.

You have someone in Kenya who is claiming to be a Canadian citizen.  You have reports that Kenyan officials think she is using someone else's passport.  Are they just supposed to believe this claim right off the bat?

Now yes you can say that more should have been done.  But it's a tough situation, like I said.

Do you not believe in innocent until proven guilty in Canada?  :huh:

Apples and oranges.

The presumtion of innocence applies to a full trial, where all the witnesses are called and subject to cross-examination.

I'm talking about pre-trial issues.  Someone who wants me to drop the charges "because they have an alibi", or want to delay a trial date "because I'm going to tratment".  These are items that are within that person's ability to prove (not mine), so I demand proof.

But BB, that is where your argument falls apart. This IS NOT a FULL TRIAl, as you say. You want proof. The Canadian Passport is proof enough. If you doubt its veracity, PROOVE to me that it is a forgery.

Herein lies the issue.

On the Canadian Passport it says:

The bearer of this passport is a Canadian citiizen

That is one.

It also states:

allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection

that is two.

The Canadian consul should have made every effort to abide these requirements. She should be treated as a Canadian until proven otherwise.As Merithyn pointed out, a couple of phonecalls could have cleared the matter up. It should not have taken three months. It should not have required a blood test.

I hope they get sued.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on August 12, 2009, 06:46:18 PM
The Canadian consul should have made every effort to abide these requirements. She should be treated as a Canadian until proven otherwise.
It's people like you who get us taken advantage of us.  Those requirements only worked when we were a bunch of hateful racists who treated third-world types like animals.  These days, we need to use some discetion in order to avoid being up to our armpits in criminal scum.

Then again, they all tend to settle in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver anyways, so to fuckery with the lot of you.

Jacob

Yeah, that's exactly right - what Josephus said.

The burden of proof should be to prove that she is not who she says she is for the government to not aid her.  It should not be on her to prove who she is when she has her passport.  The passport is the proof.

Barrister

You're just wrong.  When entering or exiting a country a valid passport isn't some magical document that gives anyone holding it entry.

If you want to enter a country it is up to YOU to prove that you are who you say you are.  A passport is only some evidence of your identity.  There is no reason the Kenyan government should believe someone holding a passport is the person that passport is issued to.

The one exception is a person entering their home country.  There you have a legal right to enter.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2009, 06:49:08 PMThose requirements only worked when we were a bunch of hateful racists who treated third-world types like animals.  These days, we need to use some discetion in order to avoid being up to our armpits in criminal scum.

Then again, they all tend to settle in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver anyways, so to fuckery with the lot of you.

So then you agree with my original, now retracted slightly,  premise that this wouldn't have happened to a cowboy hat wearing dude from Alberta.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on August 12, 2009, 06:52:39 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2009, 06:49:08 PMThose requirements only worked when we were a bunch of hateful racists who treated third-world types like animals.  These days, we need to use some discetion in order to avoid being up to our armpits in criminal scum.

So then you agree with my original, now retracted slightly,  premise that this wouldn't have happened to a cowboy hat wearing dude from Alberta.
Maybe.  Depends on if he had an Eastern European last name.  Gypsy scum, and whatnot.

Still, being white is always the best defence.  It's not perfect, but at least white people are the group most associated with law, order and civilization.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 06:51:57 PM
You're just wrong.  When entering or exiting a country a valid passport isn't some magical document that gives anyone holding it entry.

If you want to enter a country it is up to YOU to prove that you are who you say you are.  A passport is only some evidence of your identity.  There is no reason the Kenyan government should believe someone holding a passport is the person that passport is issued to.

The one exception is a person entering their home country.  There you have a legal right to enter.

You're obfuscating.

The issue is not what the Kenyans thought or did not think.  The issue is what the Canadian government representatives did and did not do.  And they failed in their duty to this citizen.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2009, 06:56:42 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 12, 2009, 06:52:39 PM

Maybe.  Depends on if he had an Eastern European last name.  Gypsy scum, and whatnot.

Still, being white is always the best defence.  It's not perfect, but at least white people are the group most associated with law, order and civilization.

It sure would be interesting if you'd drop the schtick and enter the debate once in a while.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 07:04:08 PM
It sure would be interesting if you'd drop the schtick and enter the debate once in a while.
It's impossible for me to really participate in this, as I don't really have a strong opinion.  I'm generally of the opinion that when you travel in terrible places, you take your chances, but that's about it.  Even at my best, I'm not really all that sympathetic anyways.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2009, 06:15:51 PM

Are you referring to "they turned over her passport for prosecution?"

Yes. They didn't do their own investigation first. They simply turned her over for prosecution.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...