Can natural selection select for genes based on their utility at a group level?

Started by Martinus, August 11, 2009, 10:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

What the thread title says.

Does the theory of evolution allow for the possibility of certain genes being selected for not because they are necessarily beneficial to the individual, but because they are beneficial to the survival/well-being of the society/group in which such genes are prevalent?

The question is (as usual for me) motivated by the existence of homosexuality. Obviously, it is not a trait that would be genetically beneficial for an individual, and as such it should "die out" in the populace. However, it seems that the number of gay people is fairly constant.

So what if instead of the "gay gene" there is a gene that "procs" (for non-WoWtards, to "proc", in the context of an ability, is to occasionally produce an effect of some kind, instead of providing this effect on a permanent/constant basis) so that each fetus has some chance (let's say 10%) of being gay, due to some hormonal anomaly during pregnancy.

While such gene would not be useful at an individual level, at a society/group level there could be a benefit to a tribe/group in which certain part of the populace does not have kids, and thus can be expected/counted on to support their child-bearing brothers and sisters, and effectively dedicate more time and energy to the wellbeing of the society as a whole (an example of celibate clergy in many societies comes to mind).

Since in primitive/primal societies, the families were tribal, one can see why having such a minority would actually help the whole tribe survive, even though its individual members would breed less, on average, than another tribe where they were no childless people.

Thoughts?

Strix

I would imagine that reverse would be true if what you were saying is possible.

It is only recently in human history that over-population has become an issue. So, if what you are saying is true than it would be more likely that the "homosexual" gene would be turned-off so that off-spring would multiple better to insure survival of the species.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Caliga

If you're interested in this stuff, you ought to read Darwin's Radio.  Fascinating book.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

If you believe that such a complex behavior as homosexuality is caused by a gene or other simple biological mechanism, rather than a complex bio-cultural interplay, you might as well believe what you want about evolution.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

While not addressing the specific issue of homosexuality, natural selection can select for genes based on their utility at a group level? One only has to look at our level of empathy and generosity compared to the great Apes who are extremely selfish.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2009, 10:39:43 AMThoughts?
I think you seek a sense where there might be none. While it is well possible (or even likely) that homosexuality may be triggered by a hormonal anomaly during pregnacy it doesn't follow that this must have some kind of purpose. Homosexuality (just like life ;)) may just exist without a particular purpose.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2009, 10:39:43 AM
So what if instead of the "gay gene" there is a gene that "procs" (for non-WoWtards, to "proc", in the context of an ability, is to occasionally produce an effect of some kind, instead of providing this effect on a permanent/constant basis) so that each fetus has some chance (let's say 10%) of being gay, due to some hormonal anomaly during pregnancy.

:bleeding:

Never, ever make a WoW analogy when trying to discuss a serious topic.

The genetic term your looking for is a recessive gene, that only expresses when two such recessive genes are present.  The gene for sickle cell anemia is  the classic example.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Faeelin

Quote from: PDH on August 11, 2009, 10:55:58 AM
If you believe that such a complex behavior as homosexuality is caused by a gene or other simple biological mechanism, rather than a complex bio-cultural interplay, you might as well believe what you want about evolution.

I dunno. I think asking if homosexuality has an evolutionary role is kinda silly, because humans are the only species that has exlucislvey homosexuals. But it's pretty clear same-sex activities have an important role in other mammals.

More seriously... eh. The short answer is yes, the longer answer is still yes, but I'll have to dig up examples later.

alfred russel

Natural selection works on an individual level. However it can also work on a group level in certain circumstances--if group A has evolved to specialize in eating clams (perhaps a beak adoption within a bird species) and group B specializes in eating worms, if the clams of an area die out group A may go to extinction. That is even true if you are a member of group A and are a part of a minority that can eat worms, assuming there is little interbreeding.

What may be more complicated but a better explanation of an apparent homosexual / genetic link is that there is a complex series of genes that govern sexuality, and certain combinations can result in homosexuality. These combinations are almost certainly bad from an evolutionary perspective, but are maintained because similar combinations are advantageous. The possible oversimplified example of sickle cell anemia in african populations is an example: you have 2 sickle cell trait genes--one from each parent. If both genes have the trait, you will have sickle cell anemia and die. But if you have only 1 gene, you will have some protection from malaria and live longer than people with only normal genes. Thus a balance is reached where much of the population will have the trait where malaria is present, even if that means some must die form it.

Saying homosexuality is only genetic is almost certainly false, however.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2009, 10:39:43 AM
Does the theory of evolution allow for the possibility of certain genes being selected for not because they are necessarily beneficial to the individual, but because they are beneficial to the survival/well-being of the society/group in which such genes are prevalent?

Yes, obviously.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.