Can natural selection select for genes based on their utility at a group level?

Started by Martinus, August 11, 2009, 10:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 11, 2009, 11:07:00 AM
Plenty of gays end up reproducing. 

Yeah and to the best of my knowledge their children do not have a higher chance of being gay than straight people's children.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Of course it does.  Whether it explains homosexuality is another question entirely.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on August 11, 2009, 11:06:05 AM

:bleeding:

Never, ever make a WoW analogy when trying to discuss a serious topic.
"Proc" was around long before WoW anyway. If I'm not mistaken before MMOs. I believe if stands for "process request on contact". :nerd:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2009, 10:39:43 AM
While such gene would not be useful at an individual level, at a society/group level there could be a benefit to a tribe/group in which certain part of the populace does not have kids, and thus can be expected/counted on to support their child-bearing brothers and sisters, and effectively dedicate more time and energy to the wellbeing of the society as a whole (an example of celibate clergy in many societies comes to mind).

Like clubbing, dictating fashion trends and marching down busy thoroughfares in stockings and a boa riding atop a pink tank. I can see it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Faeelin

Quote from: alfred russel on August 11, 2009, 11:09:06 AM
But if you have only 1 gene, you will have some protection from malaria and live longer than people with only normal genes. Thus a balance is reached where much of the population will have the trait where malaria is present, even if that means some must die form it.

Saying homosexuality is only genetic is almost certainly false, however.

There have been some studies which suggest increased fertility among the sisters of gays, but since those studies come from western society I'm not sure how accurate they actually are. I think it's probably an evolutionary artifact from the stone age and pre-human primates.

DGuller

Quote from: Faeelin on August 11, 2009, 11:16:16 AM
There have been some studies which suggest increased fertility among the sisters of gays, but since those studies come from western society I'm not sure how accurate they actually are. I think it's probably an evolutionary artifact from the stone age and pre-human primates.
Oh, crap, my sister has three children, for now. :unsure:

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2009, 11:19:20 AM
Oh, crap, my sister has three children, for now. :unsure:

All Reagan's fault?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

I think it's probably an evolutionary artifact from the stone age and pre-human primates.

So over 1,000 generations it wouldn't have died out or become extremely rare if it wasn't maladoptive? That doesn't seem to make sense.

Your first point (which I deleted) seems possible.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Queequeg

Thoughts?
The vast majority of members of an eusocial species do not mate or are sterile, but they are more successful and fundamental to life on this planet than any vertebrate species. Generally speaking, I think it is reasonably fair to suggest that males in social amniote species  is that the females are baby factories and the males are dual purpose worker-drones/provider of genetic material.  No reason that homosexuals can't be a part of this.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on August 11, 2009, 10:55:58 AM
If you believe that such a complex behavior as homosexuality is caused by a gene or other simple biological mechanism, rather than a complex bio-cultural interplay, you might as well believe what you want about evolution.
If there wasn't some kind of evolutionary pressure for it, or if it wasn't net beneficial or at least neutral for a species, it presumably would have been weeded out. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

alfred russel

Quote from: Queequeg on August 11, 2009, 11:36:54 AM

Thoughts?
The vast majority of members of an eusocial species do not mate or are sterile, but they are more successful and fundamental to life on this planet than any vertebrate species. Generally speaking, I think it is reasonably fair to suggest that males in social amniote species  is that the females are baby factories and the males are dual purpose worker-drones/provider of genetic material.  No reason that homosexuals can't be a part of this.

Eusocial species share close kin relationships to keep natural selection from breaking down the social order through selfish behavior. Our social amniote species doesn't have anywhere near the degree of kin relatedness (either today or in the distant past) in our social groups of any eusocial species. That is a good reason homosexuals can't be a part of this.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

How would that work?  Homosexuality gets carried on through straight women?

Would that mean that some families would have more gays than others?  Do studies confirm this?

It also strikes me as sort of self selective to point out that families that have more children are likely to have more gay ones.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

No idea, however not all of evolution has a specific reason. Not all traits are breed for (or bred against). Many traits are just incidental. Says the gay gene may be tied to another trait. being gay is just co-incidental to this trait. Not all people who have this "good" trait are gay (say recessive gene at it's simplest, though there are many other factors that cause traits to manifest. The "unintended consequence" of gayness at 10% could fall well within the normal die off within a species so that the "good" trait (with gayness attached) doesn't die out. Genetic and evolution is way more complicated the good traits survive, bad traits die off.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on August 11, 2009, 11:48:04 AM
Genetic and evolution is way more complicated the good traits survive, bad traits die off.

Especially since nature doesn't make very good value judgements.