Can you swim?

Started by merithyn, August 09, 2009, 01:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the topic

Yes, like a fish!
Enough to keep my head above water
No

Maximus

No, I was rarely allowed in water as a kid, because I didn't know how to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on August 09, 2009, 05:07:27 PM
We already know garbon can't swim.

Except for the fact that I had swimming lessons as a child. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2009, 05:26:02 PMExcept for the fact that I had swimming lessons as a child. :mellow:
Didn't realize there was such a thing as swimming lessons (unless you count like swimming in gym at school).  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 09, 2009, 05:29:01 PM
Didn't realize there was such a thing as swimming lessons (unless you count like swimming in gym at school).  :huh:

Sure there are. I think the first year, I had lessons at the YMCA (was 3) and then after that my sister and I started taking lessons at the local community pool (when we were still in California). You even got report-card like cards that listed what you skills you had (e.g. treading water, diving, breaststroke).

Also, we didn't have a pool in the Marlborough Public System, so no school swimming.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Oh right, I forgot about the YMCA. :face:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

sure, but I've never had to swim from a sinking boat to an imperceptible shoreline perhaps several miles away. if it's there at all.

I can walk 30 miles in the snow, barefoot, without food, uphill. I can't make a similar claim for swimming. wtf do I do about the sharks?

humans were created in their own image

Valmy

Yes though I really had to work at it as a kid, I had a terrible phobia of water until I was like 8 or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2009, 05:26:02 PM
Quote from: Jaron on August 09, 2009, 05:07:27 PM
We already know garbon can't swim.

Except for the fact that I had swimming lessons as a child. :mellow:

Sorry, it was a black joke. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

MadBurgerMaker

Yes.  Competitive swimming and water polo until the end of high school (city and "school" leagues), but not fish-like enough to get a scholarship anywhere.  Welp.

DontSayBanana

YMCA swimming lessons, which did diddly in comparison to spending near my first thirteen summers practically living at church friends' swimming pools.
Experience bij!

BVN

I can swim since I was 5 years old. I find it strange that there are people who can't swim.

Monoriu

Just enough to keep my head above water.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 09, 2009, 08:36:46 PM
Yes.  Competitive swimming and water polo until the end of high school (city and "school" leagues), but not fish-like enough to get a scholarship anywhere.  Welp.

Apparently on Languish, the ability to cross from one side of the pool to the other without touching the ground is fish-like.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

I don't think I know anyone who can't swim. A/C at home is something relatively new, the usual cure for summer temperatures when I was a kid was to spend the whole day at the building/block/neighborhood/sportsclub pool.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Iormlund on August 10, 2009, 05:22:05 AM
I don't think I know anyone who can't swim. A/C at home is something relatively new, the usual cure for summer temperatures when I was a kid was to spend the whole day at the building/block/neighborhood/sportsclub pool.

Public pools :x

There is one on the top of my apartment building, never been in it.  I bet people poop in there.