News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A glance at HoI3

Started by Norgy, August 07, 2009, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I was happy with the speed during wartime but playing as Germany '36 it is a bit slow. Do I remember well that there is an issue with 4 core CPUs?

Also, I have been raising threat levels in France, UK, and Poland. I did not want to exploit the Denmark thing. Works out quite well, France has the largest threat at least from where I sit, and the vast majority of countries are quite slow in leaning toward their usual end of the spectrum. Poland joined the Allies in 1937, but there is no danger of anyone else doing it at this moment.

Liep

Quote from: Habbaku on August 12, 2009, 12:38:04 AM

One day, Paradox might give me a reason to buy at full-price, but the usual, sloppy releases are an indication that they want me to do nothing of the sort.

I'd buy CK2 or Vic2 on the spot if they're ever made. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on August 12, 2009, 02:38:46 AM

One day, Paradox might give me a reason to buy at full-price, but the usual, sloppy releases are an indication that they want me to do nothing of the sort.

I strongly hope they won't be announcing Vicky2. the community needs more types of games, not the only two companies on the scene competing with the same time frame at the same time (ageod's vainglory I am talking about)

BTW is that gameshow next week any good? anyone going?

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2009, 10:44:35 PM
And Japan, for that matter.  Even if far as effectiveness goes that may have been more of a matter of internal propaganda--but anticommunism was an aggressively-pushed rationale for the war in China.
To be fair, Japan used just about everything as a propaganda to support the war.  It was anti-communist, anti-warlord, a mission civilisatrice, anti-imperialist, and pan-Asiatic.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2009, 06:48:27 AM
To be fair, Japan used just about everything as a propaganda to support the war.  It was anti-communist, anti-warlord, a mission civilisatrice, anti-imperialist, and pan-Asiatic.
Don't forget the "Killing the dumb Chinese" explanation too...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josephus

Quote from: Bauer on August 12, 2009, 12:33:46 AM
I'll wait until they fix the major game issues with expansion packs and buy them all at once in a discount bin in a few years.

EU3 was the last time Paradox will con me to buying one of their games on release.

WTF ARE YOU? :P
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: PDH on August 12, 2009, 07:11:00 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2009, 06:48:27 AM
Don't forget the "Killing the dumb Chinese" explanation too...
That one was only for internal consumption, and even then only internal consumption of ultra-right army officers.  The slaughter of the Chinese didn't make the evening news in Japan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

They didn't have an evening news in Japan.  Only morning shows for some reason.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2009, 09:12:19 AM
They didn't have an evening news in Japan.  Only morning shows for some reason.

Too busy getting drunk right after work.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

CK I never really go into much. Played a bit but it never took with me. Vicky, I like, and I guess you could say Revolutions was a second game. It is quite different from the original.

So, I didn't expect HOI3 to be out so soon. Was figuring later in the year. I may not get it yet, been playing HOI2 and with summer just been busy, so I may wait a bit for HOI3. I do like the ideas, changes and concepts of what I've seen and read.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: KRonn on August 12, 2009, 02:03:51 PM

CK I never really go into much. Played a bit but it never took with me. Vicky, I like, and I guess you could say Revolutions was a second game. It is quite different from the original.

So, I didn't expect HOI3 to be out so soon. Was figuring later in the year. I may not get it yet, been playing HOI2 and with summer just been busy, so I may wait a bit for HOI3. I do like the ideas, changes and concepts of what I've seen and read.
One thing we learned from HOI2 is that its released when they need to meet a financial deadline, not when the game is necessarily in shape for the marketplace.  That attitude is a cancer in the software industry.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 12, 2009, 03:05:09 PM
One thing we learned from HOI2 is that its released when they need to meet a financial deadline, not when the game is necessarily in shape for the marketplace.  That attitude is a cancer in the software industry.

Well they are businesses.  Can't very well say, no pay checks for the next few months guys, the product isn't ready.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I might get this. Is HoI3 better than the real thing?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

It's only £20 or so, on that basis it's worth buying just to examine the game mechanics.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2009, 03:11:39 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 12, 2009, 03:05:09 PM

Well they are businesses.  Can't very well say, no pay checks for the next few months guys, the product isn't ready.
I realize that in the intellectual sense.  As a consumer (or a sysadmin being given responsibility for a new product to support)I have a problem with paying money for something that has problems out of the box, problems that the vendor knew about and decided to adopt an attitude that 'we'll fix it later', after they get my payment.  I don't mean obscure or rare problems that could crop up in any complex system, but stuff like the entire fucking Luftwaffe flying off to be destroyed over Scotland because the flight AI is screwed from the start.  Or this IC thing.

Most other industries can't get away with this shit. Imagine selling TV's that will suddenly shut off after 15 minutes of use and telling customers that its "just a bug and a patch will be released in a few days."  Or an entire line of cars that are shipped with only three tires, ya gonna tell the customers that they'll receive the fourth in the mail?  I sometimes feel that way when talking with developers. 
PDH!