News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is American Cuisine?

Started by Faeelin, March 22, 2009, 08:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on March 24, 2009, 08:26:21 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2009, 08:25:10 PM
My Mom made Shepard's pie yesterday. :mmm:

Um... that's very, very English.  Not American.

We are the culinary borg.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Quote from: Fireblade on March 24, 2009, 08:10:41 PM
I don't know anyone who eats grits. It's more a Carolinas thing, I think.

Detroit has the second largest jazz festival after Montreux.  One year one of the saxophonists on the main stage said he loved coming to Detroit because, unlike New York City, you can get grits here.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

FunkMonk

Quote from: Fireblade on March 24, 2009, 08:10:41 PM
I don't know anyone who eats grits. It's more a Carolinas thing, I think.
I never met anyone or even knew what the hell grit was until I joined the army. It's like a right of passage to eat the stuff.

Of course I can't stand grits.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: Faeelin on March 22, 2009, 08:59:53 AM
Talking to a German girl the other day who's visiting the States for a year, she started complaining about how American food is so terrible compared to German food, since it's just hamburgers, steak, and seafood. This kind of made me blink, since a) German food is sausage and potatoes, and b) I wasn't sure what I actually considered American cuisine.

So, I'm curious. What qualifies as American? French toast? Pizza? Barbecue ribs?
the stuff we call "canadian cuisine" is often american food, such as boston beans, the big ass pancakes, meatballs, roasted pork, roasted beef, and a couple of others.

Modern stuff, I'd have to say that anything cooked on a bbq with some kind of hyper sweet sauce especially if it contains Jack Daniels wiskhy or if it's cook in a 4x4 pick-up truck is american food ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on March 24, 2009, 11:22:12 PM
Modern stuff, I'd have to say that anything cooked on a bbq with some kind of hyper sweet sauce especially if it contains Jack Daniels wiskhy or if it's cook in a 4x4 pick-up truck is american food ;)

It's twice as American if you cook it on your engine:

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 22, 2009, 09:10:18 AM
That's interesting, as I think a lot of Americans would not consider Jambalaya and Tex-Mex as American cuisine- both are American interpretations of other cuisines, and I think a lot of people get those confused.

Yeah because Pizza and Hot Dogs are totally not Italian and German food given an American interpretation.

Any American who does not recognize Tex-Mex as border food has never been to Mexico and does not come from the Southwest.  To those people I have nothing but gastromic contempt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I think of Tex-Mex and Texas style BBQ when I think of Texas food.  If anybody came here that is what I would take them to.

And of course that is what will be served at my wedding and rehearsal dinner.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 22, 2009, 09:18:10 AM
Tex-Mex is American interpretation of Mexican cuisine, so I don't think that counts. Cajun and Creole are both pretty exclusive ethnic subsets, so I don't think those should be considered for the status quo, either.

All of our food is either ethnic, regional, or derived from other cuisines.  That is ridiculous I cannot include the signature food of my region because it includes foreign influences?  I guess we cannot count fried chicken as American food either since we were not the first people to ever fry chicken.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !