And we're back!

Main Menu

What is American Cuisine?

Started by Faeelin, March 22, 2009, 08:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 23, 2009, 08:40:53 AM
Government cheese is the bestest.
Although mixing that with gov't peanut butter will leave one needing a turbo laxative...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

"American Cuisine": the homeless dude won't be missed, and Cal feasts for a month.  8)

(Or maybe that should be "regional Kentucky Cuisine")
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on March 23, 2009, 08:45:23 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 23, 2009, 08:40:53 AM
Government cheese is the bestest.
Although mixing that with gov't peanut butter will leave one needing a turbo laxative...

IIRC, government peanut butter came in thos huge 5 or 10 pound jars.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 23, 2009, 08:51:12 AM
Or those huge cans with the sides made of cardboard with foil on the inside - the 3 inch layer of oil on top and the case-hardened stuff at the bottom were signs of quality.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on March 23, 2009, 09:09:14 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 23, 2009, 08:51:12 AM
Or those huge cans with the sides made of cardboard with foil on the inside - the 3 inch layer of oil on top and the case-hardened stuff at the bottom were signs of quality.

Oh man, that brings back memories.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on March 23, 2009, 08:16:59 AM
In my travels I've found that American food has a great deal more variety than other coutnries.  Beppe Severgnini (in Ciao America) reports being overwhelmed by the sheer number of cookies in the snack food aisle of a typical American grocery store.  Nowhere else will offer you a choice of five different types of salad dressing or have a menu with 20 different types of sandwiches or can you get a dozen differnt toppings of your choice on a pizza. 

Mmm...You're making me think of the salad bar at Ruby Tuesdays.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on March 23, 2009, 09:09:14 AM
When you grind up peanuts and put the goo in a can that's what you get.  You need emulsifiers or whatever to get the stuff to hold together.

Capetan Mihali

If it tastes best accompanied by a Diet Coke or a Bud, it's authentic American cuisine. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2009, 07:47:23 PM
When you grind up peanuts and put the goo in a can that's what you get.  You need emulsifiers or whatever to get the stuff to hold together.
Well, when you let the peanut butter sit for 13 years before giving it away at the commodity free-for-all it adds to the fun
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Ed Anger

Siege

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2009, 09:10:03 AM
Like everywhere in the world I imagine there's a lot of regional difference.  Such as, for example, Germany.

The things that come to my mind are Southern.  Jambalaya, southern fried chicken, corn bread, Tex-Mex. 

And grit.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Fireblade

I don't know anyone who eats grits. It's more a Carolinas thing, I think.

fhdz

Quote from: Fireblade on March 24, 2009, 08:10:41 PM
I don't know anyone who eats grits. It's more a Carolinas thing, I think.

Dude, grits fucking rock.  Especially cheese grits.
and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

My Mom made Shepard's pie yesterday. :mmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2009, 08:25:10 PM
My Mom made Shepard's pie yesterday. :mmm:

Um... that's very, very English.  Not American.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.