Previous topic - Next topic

Fireblade

Arkansas BBQ ribs

Oyster po'boy from New Orleans

Fried catfish

Slargos

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2009, 11:33:18 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on March 22, 2009, 10:18:20 PM
No you don't. You put «modified dairy products» on everything: Velveeta, Kraft Singles, Philadelphia and other brands, so-called «American» or «Swiss» cheese, the modified, überbland mozzarella for pizza... this is not the mark of a cheese-friendly cuisine but rather hints at a desire for texture. While there are some good American cheese, American cuisine is not interested in non-industrial, recognizable cheese.
I've heard from Americans and Europeans that the cheese is the food thing they notice the most difference between when they move from one to the other.

Though I've never had American cheese.

I distinctly recall most if not all supermarket cheese tasted bland and probably what I could best describe as "synthetic".

Slargos

Quote from: Faeelin on March 22, 2009, 08:59:53 AM
Talking to a German girl the other day who's visiting the States for a year, she started complaining about how American food is so terrible compared to German food, since it's just hamburgers, steak, and seafood. This kind of made me blink, since a) German food is sausage and potatoes, and b) I wasn't sure what I actually considered American cuisine.

So, I'm curious. What qualifies as American? French toast? Pizza? Barbecue ribs?

Sounds like equal parts homesickness and your average 'cano pre-conceptions.

For me, BBQ holds the strongest position when I think of "american" cuisine.

Applebee's. :mmm:

HVC

I never understood why NA cheese was so bad in comparison to your euro brethren.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

Quote from: Slargos on March 22, 2009, 11:44:15 PM

Remind to smack you upside the head next time in America.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Fireblade

Sounds like equal parts homesickness and your average 'cano pre-conceptions.

For me, BBQ holds the strongest position when I think of "american" cuisine.

Applebee's doesn't serve BBQ. Come to the South, go out into the country, and drive around until you find a BBQ shack with an old negro cooking. That, sir, is where you will find BBQ.

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2009, 11:33:18 PM
Though I've never had American cheese.

Consider yourself lucky.  American cheese is to real cheese as hamburger is to ham.  Or something like that.  No, that doesn't fit, because unlike American cheese, hamburger is actually suitable for human consumption.  Except when they put American cheese on it.

Fireblade

Man, fuck you guys. At least our cheese doesn't have mold growing all over it.

HVC

"American" cheese have their places. Grilled cheese, other sandwiches sometimes, and on hamburgers it's fine.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Cerr

It is was quite a long time ago when I visited Boston but I remember the cheese, butter and milk all tasted strange.

saskganesh

at HVC: because more cheese is craft, not commodity.

exceptions to be written in new replies premptively noted.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Quote from: Fireblade on March 22, 2009, 11:49:58 PM
Man, fuck you guys. At least our cheese doesn't have mold growing all over it.

cheese is kinda a mold.
humans were created in their own image

HVC

Quote from: saskganesh on March 22, 2009, 11:52:52 PM
at HVC: because more cheese is craft, not commodity.

exceptions to be written in new replies premptively noted.
But i assume euros do mass production too. i'm sure there too quality suffers, but it's still better then ours. I mean you can find good cheese here too, just not at super markets.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: dps on March 22, 2009, 11:48:50 PM
Consider yourself lucky.  American cheese is to real cheese as hamburger is to ham.  Or something like that.  No, that doesn't fit, because unlike American cheese, hamburger is actually suitable for human consumption.  Except when they put American cheese on it.
I don't like large amounts of cheese in or on things in general, but I've gotten to the point where I can barely stomach American cheese, and I only buy American cheese that is real cheese, not the "processed cheese food" shit.  Swiss, provolone, and pepperjack are my preferences.

Slargos

Quote from: katmai on March 22, 2009, 11:45:25 PM

Remind to smack you upside the head next time in America.

;D

I'm thinking of eating my way across the continent akin to that dude who made an entire TV series of it. Would be excellent. Last time I paid far too little attention to the finer points.