News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sundering of America

Started by Lettow77, August 03, 2009, 06:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Im sure china would have moral qualms regarding trade with the Southern states  :rolleyes:

Anyway, an economic embargo is unlikely. Not only is there little to no motivation for it, but you couldent get enough of the big players like india or russia to stick. At best there might be something like a north-south trade war, which would admittedly be hurtful, but I dont think even that would happen.

To her shame, Southern states now take in more revenue than they give out to the federal government. The North would no longer have to give us a hand-out, and the South would have the impetus to stand on its own two feet, with a less expensive government tax burden.
Both regions would flourish from secession.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 09:43:46 AM
Im sure china would have moral qualms regarding trade with the Southern states  :rolleyes:
The Chinese aren't really that fond of secessionist regions. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

They gave arms to pakistan, didint they?

But sure, the South doesnt stir up any ruckus with how China keeps its own house, and in exchange China does the same.

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 09:43:46 AM

Anyway, an economic embargo is unlikely. Not only is there little to no motivation for it, but you couldent get enough of the big players like india or russia to stick. At best there might be something like a north-south trade war, which would admittedly be hurtful, but I dont think even that would happen.

To her shame, Southern states now take in more revenue than they give out to the federal government. The North would no longer have to give us a hand-out, and the South would have the impetus to stand on its own two feet, with a less expensive government tax burden.
Both regions would flourish from secession.
Not so much moral qualms as there is the risk of alienating the much, much larger (and infinitely richer) American market.  Same with India, who would fear the South anyways.  The South would have large numbers of unskilled anglophones who would be willing to work for a couple of dollars a day, which would be a threat to India's call-centre economy.  Russia doesn't matter in the slightest.  The United States would make an embargo stick, even if the South managed to avoid declaring war against the US, which I doubt they could.  They've kept an embargo on Cuba for fifty years with significantly less provocation.

No, the South is incapable of standing on it's own.  It doesn't have the economic infrastructure to do so, and that which there is depends on the United States.  This isn't the 19th century.  Microstates cannot survive by preaching isolationism and hostility against their neighbours, at least not if they care about maintaining a standard of living higher than that of a subsistance farmer.  Even the North might not be better off, because they've invested serious capital into light manufacturing using cheap southern labour.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Every third line here in nonsense. Microstates? Cuba, the communist dictatorship that allowed nuclear missiles onto its land, providing less provocation?

You are badly misguided on this subject, even ignoring the oddities you sprout. That the South would be downtrodden and broke without the yankees is a common theme among northerners, with little to back it up. Take that 'Mass of unskilled anglophones' comment. College attendence down South is not signifigantly errant from the national average, you know. And nobody seems to take the gulf coast oil into account, either. 

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 10:21:33 AM
Every third line here in nonsense. Microstates? Cuba, the communist dictatorship that allowed nuclear missiles onto its land, providing less provocation?

You are badly misguided on this subject, even ignoring the oddities you sprout. That the South would be downtrodden and broke without the yankees is a common theme among northerners, with little to back it up. Take that 'Mass of unskilled anglophones' comment. College attendence down South is not signifigantly errant from the national average, you know. And nobody seems to take the gulf coast oil into account, either.
There's a simple stat to back it up:  The South gets more money from the feds than they contribute.  College attendence doesn't matter in the South, because an independent South wouldn't have any money, and thus subsistance agriculture would be the only thing they could do.  The Gulf Coast is American, and would stay American.

And yes, Cuba would offer significantly less provocation than the South would.  The South would be stealing land that is rightfully American.  US Army bases would be cut off from the mother country.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 07:29:54 AM
The South was in many ways Europe transplanted into a new continent,

I believe you're confusing the South with Canada.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Alcibiades

QuoteThe South, farmboys and minorities is what makes up the military.

Wrong.

Any way, this is a laughable thread really.  And please, do tell how you think the segregation will go in places like Atlanta.  :lol:

Good luck
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

ulmont

Quote from: Alcibiades on August 03, 2009, 11:43:57 AM
QuoteThe South, farmboys and minorities is what makes up the military.

Wrong.

He's right about the South, wrong about farmboys and minorities (blacks and whites are both slightly overrepresented in the military relative to the population at large).

http://www.heritage.org/Research/NationalSecurity/images/CDA08-05_map1.gif
http://www.heritage.org/Research/NationalSecurity/images/CDA08-05_table2.gif
http://www.heritage.org/Research/NationalSecurity/cda08-05.cfm

Any way, this is a laughable thread really.

I find it profoundly irritating, as I live in Atlanta.

And please, do tell how you think the segregation will go in places like Atlanta.  :lol:
Extremely badly, I think.

MadBurgerMaker

I suppose Mr. Lettow is thinking that ~40% or so of military recruits the South produces would all join him in his glorious quest to become an inhabitant of a third world nation. 

ulmont

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 03, 2009, 12:03:38 PM
I suppose Mr. Lettow is thinking that ~40% or so of military recruits the South produces would all join him in his glorious quest to become an inhabitant of a third world nation.

Yes...so he starts off already outnumbered by 50%.  Awesome.

Ed Anger

The ghost of Stonewall Jackoff will save the south.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: ulmont on August 03, 2009, 12:02:31 PM

I find it profoundly irritating, as I live in Atlanta.

I like to disrupt threads like this. it's fun!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: ulmont on August 03, 2009, 12:08:23 PM
Yes...so he starts off already outnumbered by 50%.  Awesome.

All part of the plan...... :shifty:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.