And we're back!

Main Menu

East India Company

Started by chipwich, August 01, 2009, 03:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Caliga on August 05, 2009, 08:05:58 AM
Oh  :blush:

I saw it for sale @ GamersGate and just assumed.

Yeah. Pdox is just the publisher.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

This could be an interesting game. Seems to have a good amount of depth to it, from reviews I read, though I haven't checked too far about it. I may give it a try. I like the Patrician games, and this one is quite different but is still a game of merchants and sea trade.

Caliga

Quote from: Josephus on August 05, 2009, 08:31:39 AMYeah. Pdox is just the publisher.
Ok, maybe the map won't suck then! :o
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

According to the Paradox newsletter they're giving away three digital copies for free. I entered - because fee games are always good.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on August 05, 2009, 08:46:45 AM
This could be an interesting game. Seems to have a good amount of depth to it, from reviews I read, though I haven't checked too far about it. I may give it a try. I like the Patrician games, and this one is quite different but is still a game of merchants and sea trade.

DO NOT try it by trying to find a Patrician in there. It is not like that. It is an okay game, but not Patrician

KRonn

Quote from: Tamas on August 05, 2009, 09:36:59 AM

DO NOT try it by trying to find a Patrician in there. It is not like that. It is an okay game, but not Patrician
Yep, I hear you. I saw you say that earlier and I already didn't assume it was too much like Patrician. I'm just hoping for  decent trading type game.

Habsburg

Quote from: KRonn on August 05, 2009, 11:51:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 05, 2009, 09:36:59 AM

Yep, I hear you. I saw you say that earlier and I already didn't assume it was too much like Patrician. I'm just hoping for  decent trading type game.

Me too.

Tamas

What I havent had time to before leaving to Germany, was to really see the AI's ability to provide a challenging mid- and late game, and the affect on prices of the constantly rising number of ships.

I think the AI's ability to create problems for you will be the final decider of just how good this game is because with no hostile presence the only "challenge" in trading is how much African goods to transfer by one fleet to not plummet their price. The Indian trade is a no-brainer.

In my first game where I had a slow start the HRE's company grew huge and by my 4th mission, it proceeded to conquer both island ports west of Africa, and also the port of Morocco, thereby making it impossible for every other companies not in Pact status with them to reach their home port in supply range (you still sail OOS just much slower)

I restarted that game to see how easier it is when I know what I am doing from start. I was making money easier, but still was only 3rd on the company power rankings, and had to stop before the AI would really start waging wars.