News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NYPD cracks down on Flintlocks

Started by jimmy olsen, July 29, 2009, 01:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2009, 06:16:43 PM
You know, all you fuckers are poking fun at the NYPD over this, but who's going to be laughing when he affixes his bayonet.
Those of us who are smart enough to stand at least 15 feet away from people armed with bayonets.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Is Flintlocks the poorer cousin of Goldilocks?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on July 29, 2009, 01:41:46 PM
In short, it's not a "right to bear arms" sans license so much as a "right to arms-themed interior decorating".  :D
Exactly my thought, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

You know, all you fuckers are poking fun at the NYPD over this, but who's going to be laughing when he affixes his bayonet.
If it is a period rifle, and not a musket, it has no provisions for a bayonet. :nerd:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2009, 06:58:06 PM
If it is a period rifle, and not a musket, it has no provisions for a bayonet. :nerd:

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Neil

Me.

Still, when the guy goes nuts and starts spearing Jewish lawyers in Manhattan, I guarantee that somebody is going to regret his agenda of cop-hatred.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Armyknife on July 29, 2009, 07:33:58 PM

The exemption in question.
Quote§ 10–305 Exemptions. The sections requiring rifle and shotgun permits and certificates and prohibiting the possession or disposition of assault weapons shall not apply as follows:

b. Antiques and ornaments. The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to antique rifles and shotguns which are incapable of being fired or discharged or which do not fire fixed ammunition, or those weapons manufactured prior to eighteen hundred ninety-four and those weapons whose design was patented and whose commercial manufacture commenced prior to eighteen hundred ninety-four and whose manufacture continued after eighteen hundred ninety-four without any substantial alteration in design or function, and for which cartridge ammunition is not commercially available and are possessed as curiosities or ornaments or for their historical significance and value...

The weapon isn't antique, though it is an antiquated design.
The bolded section would seem to cover that if I'm not mistaken.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 29, 2009, 07:37:29 PM
Quote from: Armyknife on July 29, 2009, 07:33:58 PM

The exemption in question.
Quote§ 10–305 Exemptions. The sections requiring rifle and shotgun permits and certificates and prohibiting the possession or disposition of assault weapons shall not apply as follows:

b. Antiques and ornaments. The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to antique rifles and shotguns which are incapable of being fired or discharged or which do not fire fixed ammunition, or those weapons manufactured prior to eighteen hundred ninety-four and those weapons whose design was patented and whose commercial manufacture commenced prior to eighteen hundred ninety-four and whose manufacture continued after eighteen hundred ninety-four without any substantial alteration in design or function, and for which cartridge ammunition is not commercially available and are possessed as curiosities or ornaments or for their historical significance and value...

The weapon isn't antique, though it is an antiquated design.
The bolded section would seem to cover that if I'm not mistaken.

Well, you are mistaken.  He had it custom-made in Tennessee.  Its commercial manufacture was not commenced prior to 1894, and its manufacturing was not continued after 1894.  It was made to order, and very recently.

Siege

A rifle is still deadly without rounds and without bayonet.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Quote from: Siege on July 29, 2009, 07:42:35 PM

A flintlock isn't rifled though. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Sure, but baseball bats aren't illegal.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on July 29, 2009, 08:47:53 PM

Flintlock is just a method of setting off the charge of powder.  There certainly were rifled flintlocks.  Hell, there were rifled flintlock pistols.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

So's a vacuum cleaner, desk lamp, or even the Staten Island Yellow Pages, if you want to be technical.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2009, 10:17:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 29, 2009, 08:47:53 PM

Flintlock is just a method of setting off the charge of powder.  There certainly were rifled flintlocks.  Hell, there were rifled flintlock pistols.

I could be wrong I suppose, but I thought rifles (that is - firearms with rifling) only came into use in the 19th century - and that is what a quick wiki search seems to confirm.  So while there may exist some rifled flintlocks out there, the flintlock seems far more commonly associated with muskets.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

The Kentucky Long Rifle was rather famous during the American Revolution.  There were certainly rifles prior to the 19th century, they just weren't used by masses of troops.  They were generally for private use or specialized or irregular troops.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."