Chavez 'freezes' diplomatic ties with Colombia

Started by citizen k, July 28, 2009, 11:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on July 28, 2009, 11:34:59 PM
Chavez will never actually go through with any of his militaristic, sabre-rattling threats.  Any foreign excursion on his part would inevitably end in utter failure and worldwide condemnation--and he knows it.

Far easier for him to continue acting the oaf in the foreign sphere and reap the 'fame' from it than to actually do anything.

We(Languish) do need a new war.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Siege on July 29, 2009, 12:18:23 AMIt would be like a vacation, all expenses included.
You're aware of the fact that FARC strongholds tend to be in the middle of the Amazon rainforest, right?

I think I'd prefer jungle over desert as well, in general, but maybe not in terms of a war zone.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2009, 12:22:41 AM
Quote from: Siege on July 29, 2009, 12:18:23 AMA tour in Venezuela beats the hell out of a tour in islamoland.

It would be like Vietnam.  Except you'd have to call everyone Victor Carlos.
:lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: Siege on July 29, 2009, 12:18:23 AM
Yeah, but since when are dictators that rational?

When their regimes are at stake, they start becoming a lot more so.  Chavez is a buffoon, but he knows how to keep the power he has--and foreign adventures only harm that.  Blustering, on the other hand, is an easy way to look big while doing nothing.

QuoteI hope he gives our new glorious president an oportunity to declare a war.

And I hope you're dead wrong and that he quietly exits his position and gives way to someone who is nothing like himself and that we can resume normal relations with the country.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2009, 07:42:25 AM
We(Languish) do need a new war.

There are plenty floating around the world, already.  They just aren't as sexed-up or large in scope.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maximus

Yea pretty sure FARC is on its last legs. A friend of mine is in the Army Corps of Engineers and they've been down there a lot with (re)building infrastructure.

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on July 29, 2009, 09:23:41 AMThere are plenty floating around the world, already.  They just aren't as sexed-up or large in scope.
There's always Somalia. :)

I believe a new conflict of some sort starts there almost weekly, between one faction or another.

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on July 29, 2009, 09:26:15 AM
Yea pretty sure FARC is on its last legs. A friend of mine is in the Army Corps of Engineers and they've been down there a lot with (re)building infrastructure.

We've said that about a lot of Latin American guerrilla movements that didn't quite die off.  FARC is definitely weakened, but I wouldn't count them out just yet.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2009, 11:04:43 AMWe've said that about a lot of Latin American guerrilla movements that didn't quite die off.  FARC is definitely weakened, but I wouldn't count them out just yet.
I wonder how Sendero Luminoso is doing these days?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2009, 11:28:58 AM
Their leadership got captured a couple years back.  They are: kaput.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 01:27:20 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2009, 11:28:58 AM
Their leadership got captured a couple years back.  They are: kaput.
I recently read there's a new guy in charge who's managed to stabilize things and there's been an uptick in attacks.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Siege

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2009, 11:04:43 AM
Quote from: Maximus on July 29, 2009, 09:26:15 AM

We've said that about a lot of Latin American guerrilla movements that didn't quite die off.  FARC is definitely weakened, but I wouldn't count them out just yet.

I agree. Latin-american countries don't know how to do a finishing move, despite having the political will to do it.
Israel knows how to do the finishing move, but doesn't have the political will.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Siege on July 29, 2009, 05:20:30 PM

I agree. Latin-american countries don't know how to do a finishing move, despite having the political will to do it.
Israel knows how to do the finishing move, but doesn't have the political will.

Some of those button combos are kinda hard to master, you know.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers