Bill to Repeal DADT Withdrawn Due to White House Pressure

Started by Faeelin, July 29, 2009, 05:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

QuoteDue to pressure from some of my Congressional colleagues and from the White House, I have withdrawn my amendment.  I would, however, like to note that it is most unfortunate that we are not addressing Don't Ask, Don't Tell at this time. ....

Last month, 76 of my colleagues and I sent a letter to President Obama urging him to take leadership on this issue and to work together with Congress to repeal this law.  More than a month later, I have yet to receive an official response.   

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2009/07/under-pressure-from-white-house-and-colleagues-us-rep-hastings-withdraws-dont-ask-dont-tell-amendment-from-defense-b.html

Hrmm. I'm glad Obama could ignore DADT so he could get that health care bill passed.

garbon

I only recently saw it again, but I liked Rachel Maddow's quip about what Obama's record would be like if he wasn't such a fierce advocate for gay rights. ^_^ -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Alcee Hastings the ex-judge?  :lol:

Ok, take 'em where you can get 'em I guess.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.