And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada fights Euro ban

Started by citizen k, July 28, 2009, 01:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on July 28, 2009, 12:05:37 PM
Why do you hate the inuit Sasks?   :cry:

i don't. they have their own province now.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2009, 11:00:00 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 28, 2009, 10:52:35 AM
The trade is being banned on animal welfare grounds, not on conservational issues.

Correct.  And so the minute the Euros ban all meat products I will start to take them seriously but at the moment this is purely a cynical move to gain easy support at the expense of the people trying to make a living in Canada's north.

the people trying to make aliving in the north were trying to make a living in the north (well, their ancestors) long before any europeans showed up so I don't see how an import-ban should affect them.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 28, 2009, 12:21:21 PM
the people trying to make aliving in the north were trying to make a living in the north (well, their ancestors) long before any europeans showed up so I don't see how an import-ban should affect them.

Subsistence hunter-gathering is not much of a living.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on July 28, 2009, 11:08:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 28, 2009, 11:03:47 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2009, 11:00:00 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 28, 2009, 10:52:35 AM
The trade is being banned on animal welfare grounds, not on conservational issues.

Correct.  And so the minute the Euros ban all meat products I will start to take them seriously but at the moment this is purely a cynical move to gain easy support at the expense of the people trying to make a living in Canada's north.

I guess it's the bludgeoning to death part they object to. There have been campaigns to get it banned for ages.

Heh, Newfies hunting with clubs is horrible, but bullfighting is good clean family fun?  :lol:

Their arguments, not mine. I'd be fine if they banned bullfighting as well.

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2009, 11:10:21 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 28, 2009, 11:03:47 AM
I guess it's the bludgeoning to death part they object to. There have been campaigns to get it banned for ages.

Yeah, and penning cows in feed lots their whole life, putting a bolt through their head and then slaughtering them is so much better.  The whole thing reeks of taking on an easy target to appease a hypocritical populous.

The difference is that the world can go on as if nothing happened without seal stuff, but try to sustain modern society without the industrialized cattle industry and see how it goes.

It's not a big deal here, no easy target or anything. Footnote news that will be forgotten in a couple of days.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2009, 12:25:08 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 28, 2009, 12:21:21 PM

Subsistence hunter-gathering is not much of a living.

not relevant really. Either they make a living the traditional way or they don't, in which case they get to deal with public opinion elsewhere. And that public doesn't like sealhunters.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 28, 2009, 12:41:01 PM
not relevant really. Either they make a living the traditional way or they don't, in which case they get to deal with public opinion elsewhere. And that public doesn't like sealhunters.

If that was really true it would not be necessary to do protectionist shit like banning them.  The public would simply not buy Seal products and there would be no industry.  Instead merely an annoying minority of the public do not like sealhunters and they are raising enough of a stink to get their way.

But hey my country did the same shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

The slaughter of seals has now become a moral imperative.  We must show those Euros that we won't allow them to push us around.  We should also sink some of their fishing trawlers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2009, 12:49:35 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 28, 2009, 12:41:01 PM

If that was really true it would not be necessary to do protectionist shit like banning them.  The public would simply not buy Seal products and there would be no industry.  Instead merely an annoying minority of the public do not like sealhunters and they are raising enough of a stink to get their way.

But hey my country did the same shit.

Or in this case an annoying majority.

I hope that the WTO slaps Europe for this, the way it slapped us for the equally nonprotectionist internet gambling ban. If we can't exercise discretion to ban things, no one should.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2009, 03:40:26 PM

The majority of Euros are sealhunting activists?

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2009, 03:44:15 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2009, 03:40:26 PM

The majority of Euros are sealhunting activists?

Probably not, but I'm guessing if you took a poll the majority would support banning the import of products from the clubbed baby seals.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2009, 03:51:30 PM
Probably not, but I'm guessing if you took a poll the majority would support banning the import of products from the clubbed baby seals.

They don't care that much if you asked them if the EU should ban products obtained from the Inuits traditional seal hunts people would respond differently.

Just like if you said 'are you in favor of brutally massacring innocent animals?' and then used that to show that most people are against meat eating.