And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada fights Euro ban

Started by citizen k, July 28, 2009, 01:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

Quote from: Malthus on July 28, 2009, 08:09:55 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on July 28, 2009, 08:00:56 AM
fashion fur is a fickle business. currently, it's only a heavily subsidized, $6 million export industry in decline, so Canada should not waste any political capital on this and concentrate on other fishery/ocean issues, such as Arctic sovereignity and heavy trawler bans.

I basically agree - there is no reason to subsidize the hunt, but the ban is pure bullshit.

its symbolic and cheap. the euros are banning it because the market has shifted. their constituents largely don't care for the hunt, so its easy political points for them.

I mean, we could fight it at WTO, but it won't change anything even if we won.  heck we could even ban imports of foie gras as a tit for tat move, but that'll never happen. are we gonna raise the same stink if the USA finally bans polar bear pelts?

let the euros have their ban, and let's spend time on more substantive issues.

humans were created in their own image

HisMajestyBOB

The Governor General should rip the heart out of any Euroweenie that opposes her and eat it raw. It's about time for Canada to become a country of action, and what better than to practice on Europeans? It's not like they'll fight back.

Maybe club a few foreign ministers, too.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

saskganesh

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 28, 2009, 08:14:17 AM
May you guys never say that infront of Newfies.

if they can't market their product so that people actually want it, that's their problem.

edit: it would help if Newfies learned to speak english.

saskganesh

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 28, 2009, 08:19:53 AM
The Governor General should rip the heart out of any Euroweenie that opposes her and eat it raw. It's about time for Canada to become a country of action, and what better than to practice on Europeans? It's not like they'll fight back.

Maybe club a few foreign ministers, too.

here's an idea. why not sell seal stuff domestically? we are a rich country.

oh that's right. seal meat tastes bad and Canadians don't want the fur either.:contract:

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on July 28, 2009, 08:19:12 AM
I mean, we could fight it at WTO, but it won't change anything even if we won.  heck we could even ban imports of foie gras as a tit for tat move, but that'll never happen. are we gonna raise the same stink if the USA finally bans polar bear pelts?

See this sort of limited thinking will not win anything for Canada.  You need to respond disproportionally.  I say ban ALL European products and forcibly expel all European expats from Canada.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

saskganesh

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2009, 08:24:43 AM

See this sort of limited thinking will not win anything for Canada.  You need to respond disproportionally.  I say ban ALL European products and forcibly expel all European expats from Canada.
hmm....  :D

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2009, 08:08:22 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 28, 2009, 08:04:18 AM
:cry: They're cute. 

Well I guess if you are into that sort of thing.

Hunting them down, clubbing them to death and making coats of their pelts would make an excellent spectator sport.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 28, 2009, 08:14:17 AM
May you guys never say that infront of Newfies.
Newfs didn't vote Conservative, so fuck 'em.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Sask, I think the Euroweenies may have miscalculated.  The next G8 meeting is going to be in the North for the very reason that the conservatives are making the North one of their major policy platforms in the next election.

If the Euros thought they could score easy points with their electorate with little blowback they are likely in for a shock.

viper37

fashion fur is a fickle business. currently, it's only a heavily subsidized, $6 million export industry in decline, so Canada should not waste any political capital on this and concentrate on other fishery/ocean issues, such as Arctic sovereignity and heavy trawler bans.
it is not subsidized, so far as I know.
And it's not in "decline".  Business is slow at the moment, that's all.  Like oil prices are down at the moment, yet it doesn't mean the oil industry is in decline (and this one is subsidized, btw).

Besides, seals are not marketted only for their fur, even though it's the main product.  Seal food is sold in a few restaurants, and it's also part of other animal food.  And with their oil, we can make omega 3 caps.

And if we don't kill the seals to maintain their population, there'll be no more fish in our part of the atlantic pretty soon.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2009, 08:16:02 AM
I say let this start a protectionist war!  Everybody benefits!

So...what do the Euros export alot to Canada that you guys can ban?
Their awful wines, or what passes for it.
I'm already boycotting this.
I also boycott their movies and their music.
If I see anything marked "Made in France", I refuse to buy it.

I'm doing my part.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2009, 10:20:40 AM
Sask, I think the Euroweenies may have miscalculated.  The next G8 meeting is going to be in the North for the very reason that the conservatives are making the North one of their major policy platforms in the next election.

If the Euros thought they could score easy points with their electorate with little blowback they are likely in for a shock.

Hear this BB, kick the reform guys + Harper out & do this & I'll vote Conservative.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

saskganesh

Quote from: viper37 on July 28, 2009, 10:27:33 AM
it is not subsidized, so far as I know.
And it's not in "decline".  Business is slow at the moment, that's all.  Like oil prices are down at the moment, yet it doesn't mean the oil industry is in decline (and this one is subsidized, btw).

Besides, seals are not marketted only for their fur, even though it's the main product.  Seal food is sold in a few restaurants, and it's also part of other animal food.  And with their oil, we can make omega 3 caps.

And if we don't kill the seals to maintain their population, there'll be no more fish in our part of the atlantic pretty soon.

your tax dollars, not mine. go at 'er. they have ceased direct subsidies, but maintain other ways of keeping the industry viable.

there's other sources of omega 3. eat some flax.

your last point is a deliberate industry lie. according to DFO, the cod collapsed because of humans overfishing and its impacts. culling seals won't make a difference.

despite the euros thing, nothing stopping you from buying seal products is there? largely, Canadians are just *not* interested.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on July 28, 2009, 08:09:55 AM

I basically agree - there is no reason to subsidize the hunt, but the ban is pure bullshit.

its symbolic and cheap. the euros are banning it because the market has shifted. their constituents largely don't care for the hunt, so its easy political points for them.

let the euros have their ban, and let's spend time on more substantive issues.

I'm okay with throwing the Newfie seal hunters under the bus, but the seal ban also affects traditional Inuit hunters.  So fuck the euros.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 28, 2009, 10:30:18 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2009, 10:20:40 AM

Hear this BB, kick the reform guys + Harper out & do this & I'll vote Conservative.

No dice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.