Main Menu

Empire Total War, Again

Started by Faeelin, March 10, 2009, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on May 02, 2009, 11:58:03 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2009, 11:17:49 AM
Quote from: Mr.Penguin on May 02, 2009, 10:30:07 AM

Noone said the navel taskforce had to be made up of 5th and 6th rate ships of the line, sloops and brigs can do it, but the point is that you take out the pirate as one of the first things...

1) 5th and 6th raters are Frigates, not SOL.
2) Sloops and Brigs cannot do it when the Pirates have 40+ gun Galleons and Fluyts.
3) Don't fight the Pirate fleet. Just land an army on the Pirate Islands and take their capitols. Once taken, no more Pirates appear at sea.

The Pirates I have encounted in the caribbian at the start of the game only had brigs and sloops, maybe I only got lucky and missed the main fleet?... :huh:

They get really huge pretty quickly... your sloop and brig fleet at the start of the game is sufficient when assembled to beat the pirates. But then you let the ROTW take all the trade ports.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2009, 12:42:49 PM
Quote from: Mr.Penguin on May 02, 2009, 11:58:03 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2009, 11:17:49 AM
Quote from: Mr.Penguin on May 02, 2009, 10:30:07 AM

Noone said the navel taskforce had to be made up of 5th and 6th rate ships of the line, sloops and brigs can do it, but the point is that you take out the pirate as one of the first things...

1) 5th and 6th raters are Frigates, not SOL.
2) Sloops and Brigs cannot do it when the Pirates have 40+ gun Galleons and Fluyts.
3) Don't fight the Pirate fleet. Just land an army on the Pirate Islands and take their capitols. Once taken, no more Pirates appear at sea.

The Pirates I have encounted in the caribbian at the start of the game only had brigs and sloops, maybe I only got lucky and missed the main fleet?... :huh:

They get really huge pretty quickly... your sloop and brig fleet at the start of the game is sufficient when assembled to beat the pirates. But then you let the ROTW take all the trade ports.

Well, I build did my anti-pirate fleet locally in the Caribbian (french Gurianan), was more or less forced to do so, as I could see how the local Ducth trading fleets got sunk as soon as they were build and put out to sea. I may have missed out on a trade port or two, but the Ducth provided me later with all I needed, when they attacked me...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Viking

Holland can't build warships in Holland. The game is broken.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Mr.Penguin

Turkey cant cross the Bosphorus strait, the game is bugged...

Viking

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on May 02, 2009, 01:39:56 PM

Correction. Turkey can't cross the Bosphorus when Istanbul is fullstacked.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2009, 01:41:09 PM
Quote from: Mr.Penguin on May 02, 2009, 01:39:56 PM

Correction. Turkey can't cross the Bosphorus when Istanbul is fullstacked.

No troops present in Istanbul. Fund out in game turn 3, when I tried to transfer troops from Europe to Asia-minor...

Syt

Is the Darthmod for this version worth it? Does it "fix the game"?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ancient Demon

QuoteIs the Darthmod for this version worth it? Does it "fix the game"

No.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Syt

Do we have any other opinions? Preferrably from people I take seriously?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2009, 11:29:38 PM
Is the Darthmod for this version worth it? Does it "fix the game"?

Fix, no, improve, yes.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2009, 11:36:51 PM
Do we have any other opinions? Preferrably from people I take seriously?
DM for pre-patch 1.2 ETW was great.
DM for post 1.2 ETW game doesn't work that well.  My advice: wait a little more.  They still have huge bugs in ETW anyway.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Has the new patch sent the AI over-the-top with DOW aggresiveness?

I'm playing as france and I've been Dow'd at least once each turn.

After about 7 years of game play I am at war with Austria, Britain, various HRE nations + the entire North American Indian clan. :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Faeelin

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Josephus on May 09, 2009, 05:07:56 PM
Has the new patch sent the AI over-the-top with DOW aggresiveness?

Yeah, the AI goes all crazy with the war decs now in my games too.

QuoteAny naval invasions?

Yes.  In my first post patch game, Prussia invaded Tunis, and Sweden invaded the province to the right of that (edit: these were both very early on...there was a British invasion of India a bit later..don't know what the deal with that was, since I've only seen the AI declare war on their direct neighbors.  Maybe they just bought it or something.).

Faeelin

Playing a bit, it's 1703. Jesus Christ, people are uppity. You take a province, garrison it, and they still rise up in revolt, spawning hundreds of men.