The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on August 15, 2009, 08:49:25 PM
BHD.

WTF, CdM; Breaker's a no-go, but PoG is a war movie?

I considered that question for quite some time, and decided that yes, it is, but barely.  Had a bit more combat in it. Not much more, but a bit.

And besides, tired of people bitching about my definitions of war flick versus court room drama.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 15, 2009, 09:11:37 PM
I considered that question for quite some time, and decided that yes, it is, but barely.  Had a bit more combat in it. Not much more, but a bit.

And besides, tired of people bitching about my definitions of war flick versus court room drama.
I'd vote for PoG as a war flick, if it was presented as a real alternative (to, say, Platoon).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Now I'm lost.  What are we supposed to be voting on now?  Is there even a current nominee?

If not, I'll nominate Kelly's Heroes over Ice Cold in Alex, assuming that Ice Cold in Alex is even still on the list.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on August 15, 2009, 11:06:03 PM
Now I'm lost.  What are we supposed to be voting on now?  Is there even a current nominee?

If not, I'll nominate Kelly's Heroes over Ice Cold in Alex, assuming that Ice Cold in Alex is even still on the list.
Can't do that until the issue of In Harm's Way to replace The Dam Busters is resolved or dies from lack of interest.  We cannot have multiple choices floating at the same time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on August 16, 2009, 12:10:47 AM
Quote from: dps on August 15, 2009, 11:06:03 PM

Can't do that until the issue of In Harm's Way to replace The Dam Busters is resolved or dies from lack of interest.  We cannot have multiple choices floating at the same time.

The thing is, we have had multiple choices floating at the same time, repeatedly, in this thread--which is the cause of my confusion.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on August 16, 2009, 12:29:55 AM
The thing is, we have had multiple choices floating at the same time, repeatedly, in this thread--which is the cause of my confusion.
The source of your confusion is people who iignore the rules.

Just vote on the current proposal and, when it passes or fails, introduce your own.

This isn't rocket science.  Ensign Yi laid out the rules pretty clearly at the start, and the only mod so far is five votes rather than seven.

Bayraktar!

Cerr

It's 1 for PoG and 5 for Black Hawk Down.

I don't think PoG will get enough votes, I'll withdraw my nomination if someone wants to make another nomination.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2009, 06:58:03 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2009, 06:52:32 AM

Nuclear war flicks are their own genre.

Speaking of nuke flicks, I caught Panic in Year Zero from 1962. Pretty dark for a flick from '62 on the effect on a family right after the nukes fly.

Got it in a double bill with the Last Man on Earth (Vincent Price in the first I am Legend adaptation).
Not bad, not bad at all. Recommended for all survivalist fans :)