The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2009, 08:18:35 AM
Quote from: Mr.Penguin on August 13, 2009, 11:59:04 PM
I must say, Das Boot is hard to beat as best war movie and we are talking about the full version , none of that 120min shit they released for the US market...

Otherwise Band of Brothers, yes its a TV series but so was the original Das Boot...

Das Boot put me to sleep.

Your loss...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Ed Anger

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on August 14, 2009, 09:01:29 AM
I must say, Das Boot is hard to beat as best war movie and we are talking about the full version , none of that 120min shit they released for the US market...

Otherwise Band of Brothers, yes its a TV series but so was the original Das Boot...

Your loss...

I know. I can watch that movie with Curt Jurgens and Robert Mitchum , but I think the subtitles affect me.  :blush:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2009, 05:02:30 PM
Meh, is Lawrence of Arabia really a war flick?  Honestly?

No. It's not.
:huh: Sure it is.  Do you think Lawrence was in Syria getting fucked in the ass by Turks because he was on a fucking vacation?

Actually, he was kinda flaming, come to think of it.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 09:05:52 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2009, 05:02:30 PM
Meh, is Lawrence of Arabia really a war flick?  Honestly?

No. It's not.
:huh: Sure it is.  Do you think Lawrence was in Syria getting fucked in the ass by Turks because he was on a fucking vacation?

Actually, he was kinda flaming, come to think of it.  :blush:

Heh, his Seven Pillars of Wisdom was hilarious - full of not-so-repressed gayness.  :D

No wonder Brits have a historical thing for the Arabs.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

I still get a kick out of that NO PRISONERS! cavalry charge. Too bad most of the movie has to be fast forwarded through.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

.tseretni fo kcal hguorht seiud ynituM eniaC

My computer actually typed that out in reverse order!  I love it!  :P

How about this, then:  Patton over Platoon.

And, yes, Neil, I will get In Harm's Way on this list eventually.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

You have to remember, we've got a substantial European contingent here, and for them Das Boot is the end-all, be-all of warflicks.  They can root for the Germans without feeling guilty, or letting people see them giggle, like during Schindler's List.

Cerr

I nominate Paths of Glory against Black Hawk Down.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Black Hawk Down.  PoG deserves to be on the list, but not ahead of BHD.  No depiction of a battle in which more than 1% of all US participants is awarded The Medal can be left off such a list, unless the movie truly sucks.

Come on, people.  Platoon and The Dam Busters are still on the list, and The Battle of Algiers, The Caine Mutiny, and In Harm's Way are still off it!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Kleves

BHD.

WTF, CdM; Breaker's a no-go, but PoG is a war movie?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

grumbler

Okay, that's five, and under the new rules that's enough.

In Harm's Way to replace The Dam Busters.

And if you have seen neither, IHW has Kirk Douglas, The Duke, and Patricia Neal (as well as Burgess Meredith and the usual supporting cast), directed by Otto Preminger and scored by Jerry Goldsmith.  What the fuck else do you need, except to see it?

Bayraktar!