The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2009, 09:08:53 PM
Sink the Bismarck! over The Dam Busters (which is less the odd man out of this collection than Platoon, but it is more the lesser-known film like StB).
Yeah, that's a great movie.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Strix

Ok, I am not sure if it's been mentioned and I am not really sure if it should be considered a "war" movie but how about Murphy's War starring Peter O'Toole?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Strix on August 09, 2009, 03:27:08 PM
Ok, I am not sure if it's been mentioned and I am not really sure if it should be considered a "war" movie but how about Murphy's War starring Peter O'Toole?
If you want to nominate a movie wait until the current round of voting is finished, then also specify which movie currently on the list you want to challenge.

p.s. First to 7 wins.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Late vote for Sink The Bismarck, dammit.  Make it happen.

And get that godawful Deer Hunter off of there.

CountDeMoney

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2009, 07:43:05 PM
Late vote for Sink The Bismarck, dammit.  Make it happen.
Not going to happen.

Were there any butt pirates in Cross of Iron?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2009, 08:17:59 PM
Were there any butt pirates in Cross of Iron?

Yes.  Maximillian Schell busted the Lieutenant trying to Martify the enlisted newb.

dps

Warspite

I love Cross of Iron, but I love Lawrence of Arabia more. Latter gets my vote.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Tamas

Admiral Yi

20. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) / Lewis Milestone
19. The Dam Busters (1955) / Michael Anderson
18. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) / David Lean
17. Ice-Cold in Alex (1958) / J. Lee Thompson
16. The Longest Day (1962) / Ken Annakin, Bernhard Wicki, Andrew Marton and Darryl F. Zanuck
15. The Great Escape (1963) / John Sturges
14. Zulu (1964) / Cy Enfield
13. Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) / Richard Fleischer, Kinji Fukasaku and Toshio Masuda
11. The Deer Hunter (1978) / Michael Cimino
10. Apocalypse Now (1979) / Francis Ford Coppola
9. Platoon (1986) / Oliver Stone
8. Full Metal Jacket (1987) / Stanley Kubrick
5. Saving Private Ryan (1998) / Steven Spielberg
4. Black Hawk Down (2001) / Ridley Scott
A Bridge Too Far
Glory
Patton
Gallipoli
Das Boot
Lawrence of Arabia