The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

From Here to Eternity dies for lack of interest, for real this time.

I nominate Breaker Morant vs. Ice-Cold in Alex.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2009, 04:42:42 PM
From Here to Eternity dies for lack of interest, for real this time.

I nominate Breaker Morant vs. Ice-Cold in Alex.

Breaker Morant

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

As much as I love Breaker Morant, come on now, people.  We're talking war flicks, not courtroom dramas originally based on two act plays.

What the fuck is next, A Few Good Men?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2009, 05:53:12 PM
As much as I love Breaker Morant, come on now, people.  We're talking war flicks, not courtroom dramas originally based on two act plays.

A Few Good Men didn't take place during war.

Listen, why don't you post a list of the three movies ever made which qualify as honest-to-goodness war movies, then we can vote on the twenty that we like the most.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2009, 06:03:16 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2009, 05:53:12 PM

A Few Good Men didn't take place during war.

Listen, why don't you post a list of the three movies ever made which qualify as honest-to-goodness war movies, then we can vote on the twenty that we like the most.

Fine, then.  Casablanca.  Had a war in it.  Douche.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2009, 06:30:02 PM
Fine, then.  Casablanca.  Had a war in it.  Douche.
Don't get all pissy just cuz I called after you went all in Teddy KGB.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tamas

Have we covered Der Untergang yet? If Lawrence is a war movie, the Untergang is three war movies, and it is simply awesome

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on August 12, 2009, 01:44:16 AM
Have we covered Der Untergang yet? If Lawrence is a war movie, the Untergang is three war movies, and it is simply awesome

Sell your Eastern Euromutt Nazifanboism elsewhere, we're all stocked up here.

Tamas

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Warspite

Is The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp a war movie?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Dudes, the "is it a war flick" question gets answered by the voting.  If you think flick A isn't a war flick, vote for flick B.  All this emo "Waaahh, you nominated a movie that isn't a war movie, if X is a war flick than so is Titanic!" shit gets old fast.

I agree that BM is a great flick but not a war flick, so vote for Ice Cold.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I don't think it has gotten old yet.

I vote for Alex, on the assumption that even though I haven't seen it, it is actually a war movie.

And Morant, you know, isn't. A war movie, that is. Like Titanic.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned